M3A3 ERA Crew

I bet this has already been brought up but I just noticed while looking at Field Marshal Blücher's 'The Dealership' with the various Bradelys side by side that the M3A3 ERA has only two crew members rarther than three as the other bradleys.

Just to check i went into the editor and saw the same thing.

Apologies if this should have been in Tech Support. Just not sure if its serious enough of a problem or even by design.

M3A3 has driver & gunner, with the scout team leader sitting up in the commander's seat. The other three scout members occupy the rather limited seating down in the hull. M3's recon duties tie its accompanying infantry much more strongly to the vehicle than the regular M2. If you think that's a wacky seating arrangement blame the Army, not BFC. ;)

I wonder why it was decided to have the commander disembark with the scout team on the M3 CFV yet have him stay in the vehicle on the M2 IFV?

I still think the original Bradley design should have had an eight man squad rather than six men. If you shoved another seat somewhere you could probably fit eight guys now but it would be quite cramped.

I wonder why it was decided to have the commander disembark with the scout team on the M3 CFV yet have him stay in the vehicle on the M2 IFV?

The explanation I got was that the scout's needed situational awareness upon exiting the Bradley as opposed to being down-ramped into the unknown.

The explanation I got was that the scout's needed situational awareness upon exiting the Bradley as opposed to being down-ramped into the unknown.

The scout/observers are privates. Its best to have an NCO accompany them on dismount. There should be an NCO with the mech infantry in an M2, thus the TC isn't needed to dismount.

I wonder why it was decided to have the commander disembark with the scout team on the M3 CFV yet have him stay in the vehicle on the M2 IFV?.

Wait, you are talking about the vehicle TC and not squad or team leaders right? In the M2 the squad and team leaders ride in the troop compartment and dismount with the squad while vehicle TCs never do. If I remember correctly, the platoon leader takes a TC position in one of the M2s and dismounts or not depending on METT-T (do I have an extra T in there?). The platoon sergeant usually stays mounted and in control of the M2s.