A general computer malfunction !?!?!

MY new computer seems to have some bugs. Then again, it might just be me. Here is the issue.

I turn the computer on, leave it to warm up (as it were) and come back to it a bit later.

I then turn on the screen. I get NO SYNC INPUT. I have to RESET go thru SAFE MODE and enter that way. This happens EVERY time I turn it on. eek.gif (Usually once in the morning...it generally stays on all day and until night unless there is a storm problem or something)

Is this something I am doing wrong?? Like having the screen off ??? My old computer (a Dell 300, traded in for this new one) didn't do this.

New rig is an AMD 900, 256 RAM, AMD motherboard, SB LIVE, Voodoo 5500 (soon to be replaced cuz it won't run CM) W98.

Any sppropriate suggestions are welcome.

Guest MajorH

You probably need to turn your monitor on first before starting up your computer.

Most new monitors and new computers 'talk' to each other a bit at startup.

Once the computer has started up properly then you can probably get away with turning your monitor off until needed.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cubes:

Do a search on (voodoo 5) i found a few treads with guys running V5 with CM. They may be able to point you in a few directions in using it with CM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cubes,

I did that already...long since...the work- around they had didnt work for me...so I will get an older voodoo 3 and use it until the voodoo 5500 is more up-to-speed.

Thanks for trying to help... biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorH:

You probably need to turn your monitor on first before starting up your computer.

Once the computer has started up properly then you can probably get away with turning your monitor off until needed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Major H,

I was wondering that. My old rig was only 2 yrs old and didnt need that...so I assumed that the new one didnt...but I will try that and see what happens...

Thanks Very Much, smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MajorH:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MajorH,

IT WORKS !!!!! HOORAY !!!! STRIKE UP THE BAND!!!!! TIPPICANOE AND TYLER TOO!!!! smile.gif

What is interesting is that the place where this was built, Computer Renaissance in Alexandria, Virgina, had techs all over this sucker and no one thought of that...I spent several hundred dollars extra for them to (not) figure this out. I kep my old screen but the actual tower and its inner workings are new.

I will email Steve with a firm suggestion that there be a little something extra in your pay envelope this week. biggrin.gif

Now...any ideas why my Voodoo 5500 won't work with CM in ANY configuration??

I tried them all.

Yesterday I un-installed CM and during re-install it stops at 25% (everytime) and tells me (amongst other things) that WAV 00001146 cannot be read. confused.gif Thus stops the re-install. Of course, that doesn't explain the screen freeze when I hit GO IN the game. None of this happened with my old rig...thus, I will probably return to a voodoo 3 today or tomorrow.

eek.gif

ARCHANGEL - I wouldn't necessarily blame the install problem on your Voodoo5. I don't know why your running into a copying error with CM. If you have any other programs or applets running you may want to close them down (especially "uninstallers" and other system monitoring utilities). If that doesn't work, then you'll just need to create a C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory and copy almost all the files off the CDROM into their respective subdirectories under CMBO (in other words copy the BMP directory and its contents by draggin the BMP directory to the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory, etc.). I believe you will only need to copy the COMBATMISSION.EXE file from the root of the CD to the CMBO directory.

Other than the lockup when you press GO in CM what other problems are you seeing with your Voodoo5 ?

These are the latest drivers for the Voodoo5 under Win9x (updated July 21st):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo5/voodoo5_win9x_new.stm

What sound card do you have in your system ? Some problems end up being related to the audio drivers.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

ARCHANGEL - I wouldn't necessarily blame the install problem on your Voodoo5. I don't know why your running into a copying error with CM. If you have any other programs or applets running you may want to close them down (especially "uninstallers" and other system monitoring utilities). If that doesn't work, then you'll just need to create a C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory and copy almost all the files off the CDROM into their respective subdirectories under CMBO (in other words copy the BMP directory and its contents by draggin the BMP directory to the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory, etc.). I believe you will only need to copy the COMBATMISSION.EXE file from the root of the CD to the CMBO directory.

Other than the lockup when you press GO in CM what other problems are you seeing with your Voodoo5 ?

These are the latest drivers for the Voodoo5 under Win9x (updated July 21st):

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/drivers/voodoo5/voodoo5_win9x_new.stm

What sound card do you have in your system ? Some problems end up being related to the audio drivers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S,

I have SoundBlaster Live!.Current drivers.

The problem was that I HAD CM installed. But initially all the blocks where words appear (like what your FO had etc) were whited out. SO Jason, who had the same problem with VD5500 told me how to fix that...(by changing the anti-ailising stuff) so I did.

The whiteout was cured, as was the mouse taking chunks of screen away. (dont ask!)

I had a continuing problem with getting the game started... I would give place instructions...hit GO...give movement instructions...hit GO...the "computer thinking" bar worked...the little blue bar above HOTKEYS worked...but as soon as that little blue bar stopped...so did the game...totally frozen...only C/A/D would get me out of it...

I have the new drivers...but I will look again just to be safe.

I thought an un/re-install was in order...and THAT is the current problem...it won't go past the 25%...not that I expect it to work even if it does....I think I shoulda kept the old computer...300 chip tho it had. confused.gif

Many Thanks,... biggrin.gif