Resolution Question

Me and my 3DFX Banshee are still together.

I updated the drivers on this card and now CM runs in 640X480 even though the desktop is 800X600.

Win 98 SR2

I deleted the prefs for CM, trying to get it to play in 800X600 but no luck. After the choice of 640X480, it goes back to the desktop. The game is playable in the 640X480 resolution, but I'd prefer to play in the other one.

Sugestions?

thanks

You never get the option for 800 x 600 ? After 640 x 480 it is normal to drop to the desktop with a DirectX error - you've haven't selected the last available resolution and CM assumes that there is an error (it doesn't cycle back to the highest resolution again).

What driver version are you using and what DirectX version ? If you perform the DirectX tests in the DirectX Diagnostic do they pass ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

You never get the option for 800 x 600 ? After 640 x 480 it is normal to drop to the desktop with a DirectX error - you've haven't selected the last available resolution and CM assumes that there is an error (it doesn't cycle back to the highest resolution again).

What driver version are you using and what DirectX version ? If you perform the DirectX tests in the DirectX Diagnostic do they pass ?

I'm still using Direct X 8.0A. The next option after the 640X480 is "Direct 3D" and then it crashes to the desktop. The driver version for the video card is as of Feb 2001.

Try the DirectX Diagnostic tests and see if they pass.

Here are some 3rd Party Voodoo Banshee drivers (8-26-01) for Win 9x/ME from Voodoo Files.

The latest 3dfx Reference driver is 1.040 dated February 2000 (I assume that is what you actually have). These third party drivers may do nothing for you (they are usually just hacks to bring together particular files from different driver releases). However since this driver has helped some people with the game Black & White (which has a DirectX version), then I think it may be helpful if the Reference drivers aren't working for you.

An upgrade to DirectX 8.1 shouldn't be necessary (since none of these drivers will actually make use of any of its additional features), but it may help. There is no downgrading of a DirectX version though (without a lot of pain).

[ March 18, 2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

The struggle continues and I still need some help because CM locks up completely and I have to reboot the computer now.

I have a 3D Blaster Banshee. (according to the manual that came with the card) Voodoo drivers won't work because that's not the kind of card I have.

I now have DirectX 8.1 installed and my Video drivers are as of 03/2001.

Someone please post a like to where I can find 3D Blaster Banshee latest video drivers. I'm tired of CM locking up.

Any and all help is still very appreciated.

The Creative 3D Blaster Banshee is based on the 3dfx Voodoo Banshee chipset. 3dfx Voodoo Banshee reference drivers should work with your video card (but they may not necessarily solve your problems). If you're drivers are dated 3-01 I don't think that you're using 3dfx reference drivers, but some third party ones.

Here's the latest drivers from Creative for the 3D Blaster Banshee and Windows 98. The first file seems to be solely geared towards OpenGL, while the second file is a video BIOS update and a driver update (dated 8-99). The driver update may require that you have the Creative drivers installed, otherwise it may not install itself.

I have another resolution question

Am I not able to play in a different resolution than my desktop? My desktop is the 1168*840 (I dont know the numbers exactly) but I want to play the game in 1072*768 so it doesnt bog down too much. But for some reason it doesnt let me do this.

Canuck - yes you can play CM at a different resolution than your desktop size. However you typically can't play it at a resolution greater than your current desktop size (without using a resolution switching utility to launch your game, etc.). For PC's the resolution selection process starts at your desktop resolution (but possibly at a higher refresh rate) and then proceeds down in resolution and refresh rate until you select a particular resolution. This info is saved in the Preferences file and CM will use this resolution and refresh rate every time CM is run until the Preferences file is deleted or you reduce your desktop resolution below what you have set in your CM Preferences file (and you launch CM while your desktop is at that lower resolution).

If your video card is capable of 1024 x 768, then CM should see this as one of the resolutions to use. If you delete your Preferences file and launch CM what (assuming that your desktop is maintained at 1168 x 840) is the first resolution available your desktop resolution ? If you let CM continue to select resolutions (or you press the "Skip" button) what are your further resolution selections ?

The Creative 3D Blaster Banshee is based on the 3dfx Voodoo Banshee chipset. 3dfx Voodoo Banshee reference drivers should work with your video card (but they may not necessarily solve your problems). If you're drivers are dated 3-01 I don't think that you're using 3dfx reference drivers, but some third party ones.

Here's the latest drivers from Creative for the 3D Blaster Banshee and Windows 98. The first file seems to be solely geared towards OpenGL, while the second file is a video BIOS update and a driver update (dated 8-99). The driver update may require that you have the Creative drivers installed, otherwise it may not install itself.

Thanks for the reply.

One more question. Can I use Voodoo Banshee drivers with my 3D Blaster Banshee without any errors? I'm looking for the absolute latest drivers I might be able to find. The drivers for 1998 and 1999 seem a bit old.

Sorry about all the questions.

Yes, you should be able to use the 3dfx Reference drivers with your Creative 3D Blaster Banshee. As a standard disclaimer 3dfx said in the past that using the board manufacturer's drivers was preferred over using the reference drivers. In this case Creative hasn't updated their drivers to the last version that 3dfx made available.

The Voodoo Banshees haven't had an update in quite awhile. They were considered a discontinued product before 3dfx went out of business (they were basically supporting Voodoo3 and newer, which was the next generation after the Voodoo Banshee). The latest official driver from 3dfx for the Banshee under Win9x is 1.040 (dated 2-6-2000). It's listed on the third page of the '3dfx original drivers' listing at Voodoo Files. Anything newer than this driver is a third party driver, which most likely won't fix your problems (but they may be worth trying, like the one linked to above). x3dfx also lists these drivers (these are drivers released by x-3dfx developer's after the company closed down).

What was the situation with this card before you upgraded the drivers ? Was everything working or were you not using it ? I'm not sure if you will get better performance or fixes with any drivers newer than what you may have been using before you upgraded.

Yes, you should be able to use the 3dfx Reference drivers with your Creative 3D Blaster Banshee. As a standard disclaimer 3dfx said in the past that using the board manufacturer's drivers was preferred over using the reference drivers. In this case Creative hasn't updated their drivers to the last version that 3dfx made available.

The Voodoo Banshees haven't had an update in quite awhile. They were considered a discontinued product before 3dfx went out of business (they were basically supporting Voodoo3 and newer, which was the next generation after the Voodoo Banshee). The latest official driver from 3dfx for the Banshee under Win9x is 1.040 (dated 2-6-2000). It's listed on the third page of the '3dfx original drivers' listing at Voodoo Files. Anything newer than this driver is a third party driver, which most likely won't fix your problems (but they may be worth trying, like the one linked to above). x3dfx also lists these drivers (these are drivers released by x-3dfx developer's after the company closed down).

What was the situation with this card before you upgraded the drivers ? Was everything working or were you not using it ? I'm not sure if you will get better performance or fixes with any drivers newer than what you may have been using before you upgraded.

The card worked fine but I could not play Myth III which needed a new version of OpenGL. Myth III doesn't support my version of Banshee.

The problems started after I installed some third party drivers I found with the hope that the openGL upgrade would help. No such luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this isn't the best thread to latch onto as it is a few days old. However, this is exactly the problem I have, limited to an option of 640x480 resolution. The exception to the above is that I have an ATI Mobility M4 adapter and a desktop resolution of 1400x1050 running on a Dell Latitude (C800 Laptop) under Windows 2000. I followed all of the suggestions listed above but to no avail. Installed latest drivers and DirectX 8.1, and the only improvement is that now I am offered 640x480 at 200mhz instead of 85mhz. When I first got the game, two weeks ago, it ran fine at the full desktop resolution. Now it has got buggered and I can't fix it.

Even when I expand the piddly 640x480 window up to full screen all I get is a bigger, blurry version of the lower resolution. Another little quirk, which I guess is related is that when I get to the scenario screen, the text dissapears behind the little icon and off into the (huge) black border.

Any suggestions up to and including hitting the little beast with a hammer would be gratefully accepted. I have only been playing for a week and think it's the best game I have ever come across.

Thanks if you can help,

Joe

How do you get CM to run in a window ? It should only run in full screen. How are you launching CM, is it with a shortcut ? You're not setting the game to run in 'compatiblity mode' in the Properties page for the shortcut are you ?

If you run the DirectX Diagnostic Display tests do all of them work or are any of them disabled ?

Are you using an external monitor or the LCD ? Are you running both at the same time ?

I guess the window reference was misleading if you are thinking of a Microsoft "window". I launch the game from a desktop shortcut usually, although I have also tried to fire it up directly from C:\Program Files\CMBO\Combat Mission.exe, where the shortcut points. The 'compatibility mode' is not selected. When the game starts, the opening shot is approximately a centered quarter screen sized area. Selecting play game proceeds to the scenario selector, which again is no greater than a quarter screen. This is where the scenario descriptions are clearly visible, but run off/out of the 'window' behind the opposing forces icon's. The cursor will not pass the upper or left edges of this 'window' but does go off the bottom and right edges. If I select 'Fn+F7' the 'window' is enlarged to full screen but at no greater resolution and the text still dissapears off to the right. The 'window' is surrounded by a black border, no desktop or any icons visible.

I ran the DirectX diagnostics, and all passed.

I am using the LCD alone.

This is really frustrating as when I first loaded the game, and for about a week the whole shebang ran beautifully. My problems first occured when I tried to start the game without the CD present, an oversight on my part. Putting the CD in caused auto run to kick in and the game wanted to install itself again. I cancelled this action and tried to start the game up. This is when I first got the run in 640x480 at 85mhz message. I had not been asked this before and allowed it to skip, expecting better resolution to follow. When it bombed out I retried to start it this time accepting the 'best' resolution offered thinking that I would be able to adjust the resolution from within the game. This was a no-go and after trying the many and varied suggestions to this and similar problems have got absolutely nowhere.

Hopefully this background info will help track down where it's all gone 'Pete Tong'

Cheers,

Joe

Guest PondScum

I've run CMBO on a Latitude C600 with ATI Mobility M4 (albeit only at 1024x768, you lucky beggar :D ) under Win2k and WinXP for a year, so it IS possible. Of course, for me it Just Worked, which isn't much good to you...

First things first: have you deleted the "Combat Mission Bynd Over Prefs" file in your CMBO directory and run the game again?

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest uninstalling CMBO, rebooting, and then reinstalling it. It's possible the aborted reinstall has left things FUBAR'd.

Tangential suggestion: I disable auto-play on my CD drive to avoid niggling problems like this!

[ April 04, 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: PondScum ]