Vista Oddities?

I had one crash, when changing in-game from 2D to 3D counters. I restarted, played a turn or so, left the game running to run to the Post Office, and when I came back, the game was permanently minimized. Meaning, there was a tab at the bottom left on the task bar for the game, but right or left clicking on it did nothing; there was also a small icon on the far right, in the system tray area, that was blinking but also did nothing. Task Manager said the game was still running but it wasn't possible to actually get it back. Alt-Tabbing did nothing either, except toggle between the desktop and the folder where I keep the shortcuts for wargames.

Any one else have this sort of weirdness? Other than that the game looks really neat.

MrWombat,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. I've tried to repeat the 2D to 3D error you reported but was unable to in one of my quick tests. Can you tell which campaign you were playing so I can try and re-create it more successfully?

For the Alt-Tab issue, I've seen this rarely happen and while the window should immediately pop back up, i.e. you were doing everything right, for some reason it happens where it does not. In this case if you use Ctrl-Alt-Delete you should be able to launch the Task Manager. Once in the Task Manager and if you select the SC Pacific Theater application and then select 'Switch To' it should pop the game window back up as desired.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I fired up the Demo on Vista last night. The only issue I noticed was that it seemed to peg my CPU for a while. Turn 1 (AI playing Japan) took about 5 minutes to play out. Also, alt tabbing to and from the game seemed to cause some fairly long delays.

My system is way beyond recommended specs so I assume this is a Vista thing.

Is this one of those games that should be run in 'Administrative Mode'? Seems like that often sidesteps Vista issues.

Oh, it's not a big deal...played a bunch of turns with trouble (game is quite nicely done, by the way--very polished, like the earlier SC games, and a big contrast to many games these days from smaller publishers/developers).

I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens, if anything. With Vista, nothing is certain or predictable!

Hey LampCord! Long time no see :)

You can try going to Settings in game and selecting 'Video Acceleration' to see if that helps, additionally if you run the game in Windowed mode, i.e. not Full Screen this usually speeds up the Alt-Tab issue as it doesn't require the game to refresh its bitmaps in memory as much as it does when running in Full Screen as it is a more exclusive mode video memory wise.

Running the game as an Administrator the first time out does resolve some issues on Vista but not likely to change anything with the issues you pointed out above.

Doh, yes, with no problems. Well, except the Chinese are being much more aggressive than Tojo would like...:)

MrWombat,

I think you mean to say 'played a bunch of turns *without* trouble', correct?

Either way glad you like the game and from a development point of view, we were quite happy with the end product as well :)

Hubert

Hey LampCord! Long time no see :)

Yeah, I've been lurking but not posting. Looks like you've made another winner, congrats!

I think I'm part of the crowd that feels like we've invaded Poland, France and Russia a few times too many over that last few years and I'm really looking forward to some PTO action.

I've been reading through the AAR's and I get the sense that the heavy emphasis on naval action means a lot more opportunity for deception and maneuver than we get in the largely land locked battles of the ETO. I'm looking forward to wasting a ton of XMas vacation time on this one.

Thanks for getting it out in time for the holidays!