Unpassable Terrain that looks nothing like it ... Perdition and A Bridge Too Far

wolf66

OK, I played the scenario "A Bridge too far" and there is a "dry riverbed" running across the map in front of the village you have to seize. A "previously ambushed" destroyed Humvee is in there too .. but the strange thing is, neither Infantry nor any Vehicle can cross this "dry riverbed" ?? And it just looks like the other terrain with bushes in it and no steep slopes - I looked in the scenario editor and the height difference is I think 17 to 20 - so does this height difference already define unpassable terrein ?

Same thing after I started the "Perdition" Campaign - in the first map there is a dry wadi or something running to the right of the main road and it looks like a very mild depression but again is unpassable for infantry or AFVs .... this just doesn't seem right !

I assume that the terrain used in those scenarios is marsh, which is unpassable. It's sometimes used as a water substitute (like my Ambush at Al Fubari). If a scenario designer has called it as dry riverbed, try to think that it's dry as in no water flowing, but still muddy enough that infantry can't cross...

A Bridge Too Far is my scenario (hope you enjoyed it). As Sergei has called it, the river is made of marsh tiles, and so they are impassable. Hence the importance of the "bridge".

Yes I enjoyed it very much, but apparently that "ambushed" Humvee in the marsh had me confused too .... cause I assumed I could reach it

It looks a bit more convincing if you use the Marsh to Water tile mod that Pete made. Since there's no official water tile in CMSF, and Marsh is the only impassable terrain tile, it's the only one we can use. You'll find a LOT more 'marsh' in the next Perdition mission. It'll look much better if you use Pete's mod.