Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Addmin rites needed but i am ,xp

litchy

Which version of XP are you using ? What account do you normally log into XP with and does it have Administrator or Power User privledges ? What account were you logged in with when you originally installed CMBB ? If you right click on the CMBB executable > Properties menu selection > Security tab > as you highlight the groups what are the permissions for each ? You may want to set that file (and probably any of the other files that are in the root of the CMBB directory) to Full Control for all of the user groups.

As for CDV not being very helpful... that's par for the course when it comes to most distributors. Since CMBB doesn't sell 100,000 to a million+ copies it will never get the sort of support from distributors that people expect. Basically CDV was chosen because they weren't going to gouge BTS/BFC for huge sums to distribute the game and they were actually willing to distribute it too (CMBB may have too small of a market for most distributors to be interested, which narrows the field down quite a bit).

Lets start, XP home, the game is installed, patched and ran as the same adim account. All anti-virus, firewalls turned off. Worked before the patch fine now get need admin account to work, still loged on as the same admin that installed it. What has the patch changed? This is the CDV patch for the UK game.

So when you attempt to run CMBB with the new patch (and your current shorcut is pointing to the correct name for the CMBB executable, correct ?) you get a dialog box that pops up with the Administrator account listed asking for a password in order to run the program ? However when you do enter the (correct) password for this account (which is supposedly the one that you're currently running) the same dialog box pops back up again asking for the password ? So you can't run CMBB at all at this point, correct ?

Do you have more than one 'Admin' account on your computer ? Has the Admin account been renamed from 'Administrator' to something else ? What are the 'permissions' for each of the user groups in the Security tab of the CMBB executable's property sheets ?

Short cuts are correct, two admin accounts on the pc, game and patch installed on the same one and trying to run on the same account still no joy. Have permission to run program, it's only with CMBB nothing else has probs, just can't understand why I get the message. "please log on with admin priv" it's driving me mad and it's the weekend and I can't play CMBB. The worst thing is that the misses wants to go shopping, I need help.

Well if you're logged on with Admin privledges, then I suggest moving your CMBB installation and reinstalling from scratch. Once you've done that, confirm that you can play that installation. If you can do that, then I suggest copying those files to another directory (assuming you have enough disk space here) and then proceed with the CDV patch. If you don't have the disk space, then simply copy the CMBB executable and the Prefs file to another directory as backups.

I haven't seen what the CDV patch requires during its installation process. It is VERY different from what the BTS patch does.

You may want to examine the accounts you have setup on your XP system and start deleting or upgrading them to Power Users/Admins and double-checking the passwords that are assigned to those accounts. If worse comes to worse, you may need to backup your files and wipe your system out and then install from scratch.

This is what I tried, unistalled CMBB, restart, used system mechanic to remove any references of CMBB, restart, removed any references to CMBB or the patch from "Windows\Prefetch", restart, fresh install of CMBB (no other progs running) then install the patch. At the mo this seems to be working.

On a side note many, many thanks to Schrullenhaft your help was very welcome. Cheers mate