Do large widescreen monitors make gamplay better?

HELL, YE-ESSSS!!!

Interesting you should bring this question up just two days after I invested in a brand spanking new 28 incher. Yes, that's 28 inches of pure heaven, which recession blues here in the UK brought me as an early Christmas present to myself, £100 cheaper than a couple of weeks ago.

My life is forever changed. I will probably never leave the house again. SF - as well as other games - is quite astonishing at 1920x1200 pixels. Movies are much, much better too. Even Internet Explorer looks amazing!

I was happy enough with my 19". I use twin screens, and had two 19's side by side. Now the remaining 19" looks very humble alongside this gleaming, swaggering monster.

This is one investment I'm very glad I've made.

Size matters, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Mine's only 22" but it's not how big it is, it's how you use it. I think the game looks MUCH better in widescreen mode. However, one word of caution; the higher the screen resolution, the more resources your CPU needs to show the game on your screen. If your already getting low fps in some missions, you'll get less with higher resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the two biggest hits I seem to take are related to model quality and the shadows turned off or on feature.

Going from either really low resolutions to my maximum of 1920 x 1200 seems to have a much lesser impact on my performance.

Perhaps if one has a very modest CPU I could see that might make a difference.