Arty spotter

Gentlemen

I have an artillery spotter German 240mm in the 2nd floor of a house with line of sight he fires next turn I transfer his target delay of 30 seconds, next turn movie comes in from opponent fore the whole turn timer sits on 30 seconds and does not move he has line of sight but the countdown should have started ticking regardless.

Anyway have left him alone for the next turn and see what happens

Comments???? :confused:

I believe this 'countdown delay' can be assumed to simulate actual availability/readiness of the artillery unit assigned or it could be communication or other problems. It isn't a bug as far as I'm aware, but it would appear so if you expected the countdown to ALWAYS give you an accurate rendering of when the artillery is going to strike.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I currently have a similar issue with artillery spotters. I've been calling a fire mission for several turns now. Originially, the timer was at 2 minutes. Then, it has taken about 3 turns and still no fire mission.

At the beginning of my last turn, the counter said 53 seconds, but when the turn ended with no shells falling, and I plotted my orders, the timer on the spotter said "26 seconds."

I, too am assuming this is meant to simulate problems with the artillery guns, or comm problems or somesuch other thing that happens on the battlefield. It's just annoying waiting and wondering where your arty suport is. Good thing my guys aren't pinned down and need it to escape! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments guys

Let me clarify what I am saying a bit.

I have had CM for nearly a year and am aware that if you are firing blind ie no line of sight that the countdown will only advance by about 30 seconds in a minutes turn.

In this situation the target was fired upon, I then transfered my target area to another spot close by so the delay was minimal, the couter said 30 seconds, I had line of sight to the target and during the whole turn the 30 second did not reduce at all.

This is the first time I have seen this in nearly a year of playing CM.

With the bigger arty, your going to get that. It takes a long time for those big shells to drop, it will say 22 sec. or something, but won't fall until the next turn or so. Don't worry, it's not a bug, mine does it all the time. The big stuff just takes a while is all.