How Best to Stage Amphib Assaults

I'm new to SC2 (though I did play SC1), and I would like to save learning curve time by soliciting an opinion based on experience. Playing as Allies, is it better to transport US units across Atlantic as ampib transports and invade France directly, or is it best to transport US units to UK ports first, then reload them into ampib transports for the invasion? The latter is expensive and time consuming at a time that the Soviets are getting mauled. I have the Ampibious Warfare research bonus at level 2, but I do wonder about the transatlantic trek resulting in high landing losses. Is there an Amphibious Warfare bonus level (which goes potentially to 5) at which ampib assault staging from USA would be the best option?

It is somewhat of an art, but I guess I really smart SC player could create a table to demonstrate the way I handle things.

Transports are faster so they spend less time at sea. But as countries increase amphibious warfare technology, the amphibious transport go faster.

Units embarked loose supply (an therefore combat capability) when embarked.

So, if I have a low amphibious tech level and want to invade Europe or Africa from the USA I might want to first stage using transport in a friendly port. But, if I want to gain strategic surprise I would embark my troops in amphibious transports in the USA for a direct assault across the Atlantic

Also, as my amphibious tech increase I’ll have more flexibility as my embarked troops will get to the beaches faster.

This is how I look at it when I make a decision.

along the lines of amphib assault

do you have a sense if there is a benefit to having a leader next to the guy prior to loading on assault boats, or do they automatically go to 10 if they land on the first turn. trying to decide if it is worth the hassle to have leader attach to units prior to loading into amphibs

If you get your Amphib.to level 3 and up(yes it does open up more possibilities) and go across when the weather is nice you shouldnt have any losses due to storms.If you dont think its possible to get a port first attack then 99% of the time you should land with a H.Q.If you dont your troops will be out of supply and are easy pickens.You should also try and hide your intentions as best you can.Sometimes you can catch the enemy where he least expects the attack.

Do you know what the enemys longrange air is?Try and get only as close as needed and still be out of range of being spotted.If he sees you and you dont know it then your amphib.troops most likley will have a very angry welcome waiting for them.

Ignoring weather altogether, if you have amphib warfare level 3, (8 AC for ampib transports, then you can make it from Boston or NY to invade on the fourth turn of sea movement. Does anyone have experience with the losses with that many turns at sea?

Interestingly, at amphib warfare level 2, you can just barely make it from Boston to invade on sea movement turn four (south of Brest), but the problem there is that you can only stage two units out of Boston, since tile (10,21) is a bummer. A NY embarking unit at level 2 needs five turns to cross. My experience with reducing Brest is that it takes 3 air attacks (from England) and two army unit assaults to kill the Brest defender in one turn. Then you either need the US corps to take the city itself, or a British paratroop to drop in. Another possibility is two US units from Boston at tech level 2 and a couple of British units. But stealth is low, and the Brits would need to be able to spare the units from N africa.