Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Weight/Carrying Penalties

Hi everyone. I have a question which may seem a little dumb and I'm not sure if it's been brought up or not. I was just wondering is there a penalty assessed to infantry units for carrying equipment that can be acquired off of vehicles? An example would be an MG team. If you have them snatch all the 7.62mm ammo off a stryker or AAV is it going to hamper their mobility, or cause them to fatigue more rapidly?

Ryanwtod,

A long time ago I ran a test. The short answer is "yes, they are penalized".

The version I tested must've been something v1.03. I don't know if the fatigue model has been tweaked since then.

I loaded one squad with everything from the Stryker. I forget the numbers, but it must've been something like 120 lbs. per man. The other squad was standard. (A better test would have them shoot off every bit of ammo.) Then I QUICKED the squads 100meters down and back on parallel roads. It took a bit of distance, but eventually the unladen squad pulled ahead. The laden squad reached an exhausted state more rapidly and took longer to recover.

I tested with various squads and teams over varied terrain types.

I only have qualitative, not quantitative, results.

Regards,

Ken

One obvious 'weight penalty' is there's an acquireables cut-off. The game won't overburdon the troops. Marine Javelin team's only two guys so they get two missiles to carry. Army's an entire frickin' squad so can carry as many missiles as the men can scrounge. I've got into the habit off keeping an AAV or MTVR close to the Marine Javelin team. Those two missiles get expended quick, then the men have to be scampered back for more.

A minor edit to the post I made above: I actually sent a specific squad to every Stryker in either a platoon or a company. As it entered, I would ACQUIRE ammo. Specifically, all the 7.62 it could carry. I kept track of the ammo by seeing what was left in the Stryker. I also loaded them down with all the Javelins they could carry. I looked up the weight of ammo and divided it out across the number of men.

The laden and unladen squads were capable of the same speeds for certain distances. A few hundred meters? I forget.

The test track may've been about 1 km long.

Regards,

Ken