Question about 'missing' men

Scipio

I wonder about the 'Men Missing' info on the end game screen. As far as I know, this info shows the number of men who were routed and disappeared during the battle. Wouldn't it be better to list them as 'routed' (what can be done, by the way, with a simple change of the 'strings.txt' file).

I think to name the routed soldiers 'Missing Men' is deceptive, cause in reality are the 'missing' ussually the same poor guys who are buried as 'Unknown Soldiers', cause they couldn't be indentified anymore. In this sense is the term 'Missing' is especially false for the US forces, since they had no 'Unkown Soldiers' since Korea, AFAIC. (Excuse if this info is wrong)

One Scots Guard went missing for a month in the Falklands war. He eventually figured out the shooting had stopped and wandered into town. He was classed as MIA.

I think the term in CMSF is used to describe those who no longer take any part in the fight due to morale issues. Afterwards they are probly court martialled for flipping the LT the bird and saying "fight your own war!"

Meach, what you describe is simply routed, including this Scot. I also doubt that US soldiers prefer to hide in Syria for a month... ;)

Martyr , in reality are POWs often listed as MIA, but since CMSF doesn't simulate POWs...

Clavicula_Nox, difficult to comprehend, but I doubt that CMSF counts 'dead' and 'dead & defaced' separately!?

Anyway, I have moded my 'strings.txt' file, so 'Missing Men' are now shown as 'Routed Men', at least on my PC ;).

Personal preference I guess. They are the guys who panic and dissappear from the battlefield. They volunteer to go back for spare RPG rounds and get lost on the way back. If you pay attention you will see a "!" appear above them then they will vanish.

(During testing Charles tweaked the panic threshold down a bit. There were several battles where you would fight for a couple minutes and the AI would surrender. The end result would be a US total victory with 3 Syrian KIA 6 Wounded and 190 Missing. Realistic maybe but not a lot of fun from a gaming perspective.:D)