Ports and Ships

thetwo

For the first time I feel like I've encountered something that is either not functioning as intended or is amiss in the game.

Ports and ships.

Situation: A ship in port for side 1 and a ship from side 2 tries to pass by on its turn. If the ship in port was not previously spotted, the new contact initiates combat. The ship in port brings with it the bonuses from the port and in the game where this came up this was huge. I tried this three times and the net effect was two previously undamaged ships sunk and one damaged ship sunk. Half damage on the moving ship's turn and on the subsequent player 1 turn, each ship was sunk. This was a total of 6 attacks for player 1 and he took no damage on the "surprise" encounters and only risked damage on the attacks out of the port.

On this scale, how can ships carry the port defense ratings into combat with them? How would they manage to do this and pull off "surprise" attacks?

Again, on this scale, how can ports leap out to engage passing ships? I say this because if they can't, then the ships in them should be exposed to damage.

The scale of the tiles in the game are large, we've had posts on this already. It seems that ships should be able to pass an enemy occupied port without having to be engaged by any ships that are anchored within. They are anchored or berthed after all. If the opposing player wants to gain the benefit of taking those ships into combat he should have to do so and not be able to stealthily carry the port defenses 20, 50, or 100 miles out to sea, set up his ambush and pounce, and not put his ships at risk.

If an attacker wishes to attack the ships within the harbor, then the port defenses come into play, that is their purpose.

Is it possible to consider turning off the zone of control of ships in port?