Map geeks ahoy

JonS

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/the-atlas-of-the-real-world/

This looks a fun book. I love maps, and I love the way these maps are used to convey information in a striking way.

I recall back in the '80's there being a ... war atlas, or sumfink. Basically a collection of maps overlaid with weapon quantities, military strengths, numbers of wars and deaths, etc. That was interesting then too. Lot's of pretty colours and it was all about 'splody things - it was a sure-fire winner really.

I agree with the comment filed. Not as much substance as one would wish. Mr Tufte remains God. : )

I have his three main books and some of the graphs in there are absolutley wonderful. The Japanese have a lovely way with timetables : ) Of course he did himself a little disservice with the rocket launch disaster but in general his books are great reading. Probably in my top ten most loved books that I would take from my library in case of fire.

I have just bought 4 Braudel books which could make the list ..... its tough.

Having just moved I have been moving the books about and I reckon there are 1000 plus. The cookery and gardening are each 100 plus and the humour/joke books must be similar. ditto military, relatively little fiction. One day I am going to try and read some of my books.

Its nice to have books : ) I did get rid of 600 or so before moving - and those I had read!. The joke books, garden books and cookery books are all dip into stuff so they are all used if not read.

On maps etc this is meant to be one of the most information laden graphics ever:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Minard.png

and it is even a map also : )

I bought something similar in France this year - all the civilisations in the world since earliest time by continent. Very informative but more graph than any mapping.

I thought I might find some nice maps to add here - no joy - yet.

On maps etc this is meant to be one of the most information laden graphics ever:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Minard.png

and it is even a map also : )

I first saw that one 25 or more years ago when CoEvolution Quarterly ran a copy of it. I was very impressed by it at the time and continue to be. In very striking fashion, it tells the whole story, if schematically, of Napoleon's misbegotten 1812 campaign.

Michael

dieseltaylor,

The Minard piece is so amazing even Tufte bows before it. In fact, I first saw it in a brochure for his books. The Minard piece, shows, better than any text can articulate, just how disastrous the Russian Campaign was and how horrendous the conditions were under which it was conducted. Just reading the temperature plot for the harrowing return leg made me shiver!

Regards,

John Kettler