CMBO Problem

Slightly shamefaced that my first post is a technical query, but I’d be grateful if anyone could throw any light on the following:

I used to be able to run CMBO without any problems but a few weeks ago I found that when I started the game and loaded a scenario I got the “donk” noise and the game froze. The problem has continued despite my trying different resolutions and uninstalling/reinstalling the game. Sometimes I’m able to load a scenario but it then freezes when I hit the end of turn button and it goes into the computer opponent thinking phase.

Reading through the FAQ I thought this might be a graphics issue and possibly it is but I suspect it’s something else: When the trouble first started I noticed the music playing over the game start screen had changed. It gone from the original military drumming to the full blown Wagnerian music that you get in CMBB. Is that likely to be significant at all?

The other thing that might be relevant is that when I press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of the frozen game there’s a strange looking programme listed as running called ~f51e43. Doing some googling reveals that it shows up in problems with other games and applications but I’ve not been able to figure out what it is and how (or if) I should get rid of it. Is it malware of some kind perhaps?

If anyone can throw any light on this I’d be much obliged.

Thanks

Linden

What Windows version are you running ? What videocard, version of DirectX and diplay driver version do you have installed ?

The change in music is quite strange. Unless the Wagner-like audio file was present in the same directory as the CMBO wave files, I have no idea why it would be playing it. You may want to run a scandisk or chkdsk on your hard drive to confirm that there aren't any filesystem problems. The only thing I could think of would be a 'crosslinked' file, but it is strange that the file would still be playable and not garbled.

Regarding the ~f51e43.tmp executable that you see running; where did you purchase your copy of CMBO (or CMBB for that matter) ? If you have the Retail/CDV version, then it is possible that the file in question is related to the SafeDisc copy protection scheme. I'm not sure of this, but it is a possibility.

Schrullenhaft, thanks for answering my post. I'll endeavour to provide the relevant details:

Windows version: ME (4.90 Build 3000)

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400

Direct X: ver 9.0c

Display Driver: nvdisp.drv ver 4.14.0010.8198 (English) - downloaded the drivers from the nvidia site where they're listed as version 81.98.

Both CMBO and CMBB bought from UK sources - the former from Amazon, the latter from Ebay. Is it possible the anti-copy protections on the games are intefering with each other in some way?

Ran Scandisk, no problems detected.

LTD

The Amazon copy of CMBO is distributed by CDV which used the SafeDisc copy protection scheme (as far as I remember). The eBay purchased CMBB could be either CDV or Battlefront.com. A CDV version of CMBB will also use SafeDisc to may knowledge, but the Battlefront.com version doesn't use a 3rd party copy protection scheme (such as SafeDisc). I'm fairly certain that a CDV and Battlefront.com release could exist together on the same system without problem. SafeDisc doesn't utilize a driver to enable its copy protection like Starforce does, so it shouldn't cause a problem with other titles.

What versions of CMBO and CMBB are you running ? The latest is CMBO 1.12 and CMBB 1.03. The CMBO disc may very well have the latest version on it (I think that was the case by the time CDV released the title). The CMBB one may need an update and if so you need to use the correct version since the CDV and Battlefront.com versions have different patches (due to copy protection schemes and Nazi-related censorship of the CDV version). Typically if you use the wrong patch you'll get an error about no CD being present to perform the copy protection check. It shouldn't result in the errors that you're seeing to my knowledge.

Are you having any other problems with your computer such as lockups or unexpected 'blue screen' errors, etc. ? If you do, then there may be a hardware error at the root of this (such as bad memory or possibly an incorrect BIOS/CMOS setting). The "donk" noise when loading a scenario is typically associated with the scenario/file being corrupted (thus giving an error when loading it). Freezing during the "computer opponent thinking" phase may suggest a CPU or memory problem.

What I'd suggest at this point is to uninstall both games and install only CMBO initially. Play CMBO and see if it still gives you the same problems. If after playing with several scenarios it isn't exhibiting the same problems as earlier, then install and possibly patch CMBB and run similar tests on it.

If CMBO gives you problems again and a scandisk/chkdsk doesn't indicate any problems, then you may have a hardware issue. You may want to test your memory first with a program like MemTest86 v.3.3 (you'll need either a floppy disc or a recordable CD to use this utility). If this gives you errors then you may have problem with your memory or motherboard (or a CMOS/BIOS setting may be too 'aggressive' or incorrect).

Schrullenhaft, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I've been running both games for a year without any problems. Currently using CMBO 1.12 and have CMBB patched to 1.03.

I think a hardware issue is probably the most likely culprit. I have been experiencing blue screen errors and lock ups. Put it down to normal Windows trouble but...now I come to think of it I think it dates from when I installed Firefox. Found it very slow so ininstalled it again although had a hell of a job getting rid of it completely (and conceivably I haven't managed it yet?).

I'll download the utility you mention and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Linden