Partial sounds

Finally jumped in on the CMSF bandwagon and then got an early Christmas present when I had CMSF:USMC purchased for me. Here's the problems that I've had in both (CMSF 1.08 and even after installing USMC):

I'm missing the combat sounds. I hear the music and the looping background battle noise, but individual units have no sounds, even if I select them and move the camera right next to them. I.e., there's no sounds when moving or firing or any of the "radio chatter" that I've been reading about.

I did a search on this issue and saw that this has come up before, however the resolution then was to uninstall and then reinstall and reapply the patches one by one. That is not an option for me as the game is automatically patched to 1.08 for CMSF and then 1.10 when installing USMC.

I've checked my sound settings, and they are correct, two desktop speakers only.

Sound card is an older SB Live! (yes, ancient), so I'm wondering if that is the problem. I have not updated the drivers for it for some time (not sure if there's anything newer than what I have anyway, but will check). Other suggestions/ideas welcomed.