can not install

merk

I have windows 98 pentium III 450mhz. I followed your directions for manual support, but when I try to launch the executable nothing happens.

That is: I double click on the executable and it does not launch, no error messages, nothing.

Also I went into a dos prompt and into the directory where I placed it and entered the name of the executable and hit return and still nothing.

I had Combat Mission installed before and after uninstalling I can't get it to install again. I also tried installing from the cd rom but got the

exact same result as stated above: nothing.

Please advise.

I assume you are trying to install CMBO ?

Do you know what version of DirectX you have installed ? You can check by going to Start Menu > Run > type in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG (most of the versions should have this program). This will launch the DirectX Diagnostic. Towards the bottom of the first tab it should tell you the version. Windows 98 came with DirectX 5.0, which isn't sufficient enough for CM. Windows 98 2nd Edition came with DirectX 6.1 which is sufficient enough for CM.

We also need to know which video card and drivers you have. You can often get this info from the System control panel > Device Manager tab > Display adapter listing (open it up and go to the Drivers tab > Driver Files Details... button).

I'm not sure how CM will respond when you attempt to launch it from a command line within Windows. Usually I would have assumed that you would get some sort of error message if your drivers/DirectX wasn't up to par rather than just nothing.

Do you have a retail version of CM (purchased in Europe) or do you have an internet released version. The retail version has the latest patch already installed and hence you shouldn't install a patch over it (though this usually results in an error of not recognizing the CDROM rather than doing nothing).

Are you running at 16-bit color or higher ?

Also wanted to add:

1) I _had_ CMBO working fine. Only recently I had problems with a bad version of Quicktime and decided to try and reinstall ... then the above problem started.

2) I currently have the demo version (1.02d) of CMBO installed and it is working fine.