Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Monitor Noise

M38

Every thing was fine, life was good and then I deceided to try Proxyconn Accelerator to try to get a faster dial up connection. It didn't seem to speed anything up so I de installed it. Now my monitor makes a high pitched ringing noise when I play CM. It doesn't always happen a first, sometimes the noise dosen't start for an hour or more and it only happens when I play CM. I tried uninstalling CM and then reloading it. I've tried different refresh speeds and nothing seems to help. I have a Dell 8200 using Windows XP with a 16 inch Dell monitor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I doubt that the monitor noise is related to any software that you loaded up. The monitor noise you're hearing can be quite common for older monitors. As you suspected, changing the refresh rate of CM is probably the best variable to experiment with.

The noise is most likely coming from the monitor's fly-back transformer, which is responsible for generating the very high voltages the screen needs to display. If the noise only occurs while you play CM, then I suggest attempting to get CM to run at the same resolution and refresh rate that your desktop is running at (assuming you don't hear the noise while that is on the screen).

You change the resolution and refresh rate when you delete the Prefs file and start CM again. You're then prompted to select a resolution again. Typically the first resolution offered should be your current desktop resolution, but the refresh rate will be the highest that your video card/drivers can support (and possibly your monitor). For a number of people CM will start out with a refresh rate that is higher than their current desktop refresh rate.

Press Enter to select a resolution and it's corresponding refresh rate or Press 'Skip' or allow the resolution to 'time out' and the next resolution and refresh rate should be offered. Usually this will be the same resolution at a lower refresh rate (what is offered depends on your video drivers). Once you reach 60Hz at a particluar resolution the next offering should be the next lower resolution, but again at the highest refersh rate available for that resolution. The process proceeds down to 640x480 at 60Hz (you actually can't use any of the 640x480 resolutions with CMBB... so stop at least select something in the 800x600 range). If you don't select a resolution you'll get an error, which just means that CM has exhausted the possible resolutions available. Just acknowledge the error and restart CM to select resolutions again.

Did you follow the instructions above ? When you delete the Prefs file CM doesn't have a reference for what resolution to run at. On the PC this means that it will start offering resolutions to select from - one at a time (not a list, etc.). On a Mac CM defaults to the current desktop resolution and refresh rate.

The only way CM wouldn't offer any resolutions may be when you're running at 640x480, but I assume that something would still be offered.

[ January 25, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]