New ATI card with fog?

I'm thinking about buying the new ATI Radeon 7500.

It's a card at the right price for me, just below USD 200 in Sweden, and supposedly about as fast as a GeForce2 Ultra.

The only problem is that ATI cards used not to support the fog in CM, but the new Radeon cards are supposed to support "fog graphics".

The screen for Direct 3D driver settings doesn't seem to have any box or button to select fog "on" or "off" though...

Has anyone tried Radeon 7500 or 8500 with CM?

TIA

Olle

I have a Radeon 8500, but I haven't tried it with CM yet. You're correct about the control panel lacking 'fog-table enable' check buttons. In the screen shots I've seen these seem to be lacking. In the past I know some of the tweakers could change the registry settings for fog-related enteries (however none of them ever actually added fog in CM).

There seems to be a slight difference between the drivers for the standard (now 7200/7000 series) Radeons and the new 7500/8500 Radeons. I'm not sure if fog-table support will be one of those differences or not.

• 2 weeks later...

No, not as of yet.

I may get to it later this week and I will post my findings on this forum and possibly in this very thread.

The latest Radeon 8500 drivers add support for SmoothVision - ATI's brand name for FSAA. There's a very good chance that fog is still unsupported at this point since ATI is still trying to code up the drivers for all of the features that they advertised that the card/chip was capable of.

I have a Radeon 8500 and I am very disappointed,

it doesn't support fog in Combat mission + the

text it's kind of blurred. Also it runs very

choppy with Ghost Recon. Both games run much

better (especially CM)on my laptop Dell Inspiron

8000 with a Nvidia GeForce2 GO. I will definetely

try to change it with the TI 500.

I got the same results. Most things seem OK, but still no fog (w/ 7206 drivers under Win98SE & 3286 under Win2K & XP Home). With SmoothVision/FSAA on, the thin text in the info boxes and the 'landmark text' in the 3D portion of the screen become a bit harder to read (tried 2X,4X and 6X), though the FSAA does look nice otherwise.

I have no idea when ATI is going to fully support fog-tables under DirectX. Even with the beta Radeon tweaker and all fog options turned on (which are just registry additions actually) there is still no fog.

At 250MHz memory/core speeds I wasn't all that impressed with the speed (on a VIA 694X based board with a P3-1GHz), but it was sufficient. I'm not sure of the overclockability of my 8500, but it could probably go up to 275MHz.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>