Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBO crashes my computer

Souffle

Yes. It installs and runs perfect, but at 5 min of playing, it crashes and I have to reset the whole system.

Thinking about the age of the game, I downloaded the demo of CMBB, but I get the same problem.

My OS is WinXP, and I've tried the compatibility with Win98 and 95 options but, when tiled, the game doesn't run.

Besides, I also downloaded the 1.12 patch for CMBO, but after installing it, the game asks again and again for the CD to play, and it's already in the cd player!! (of course, it's the original CD, not a copy)

My system is: AMD K7 700, 640 Ram, Asus K7V mother, GeForce3 Ti 200 and WinXP

Thanks a lot.

are you doing anything in particular in the game when it crashes each time?

just looking for a pattern to the cause

the O/S and vid card you listed are definitely no the issue - although it might help if you posted what vid drivers you're running

does anything else you run cause this type of crash?

compatibility with o/s can't be it i'm thinking becasue i run cmbo w/o a hitch on xp pro - so i don't think changing to compatibility mode for 98 is going to make any difference

Thanks for answering.

By now, I'm "wearing" the 30.82 detonators, and I've not noticed any problem in any game.

And, CMBO crashes without doing anything special in the game: it crashes when I click an HQ, when I move a tank unit, when I hide the riflemen... but it happens always a short time after entering the scenario (next time I'll take the chronometer tongue.gif ).

How long ago did you purchase CMBO ? More than likely you already have v. 1.12 on the CD and if you patch that you'll get the 'Can't find CDROM' problem. To correct this you should be able to copy the executable off of the CD into your CMBO directory.

The lockup problem is a bit more problematic. CM (both CMBO & CMBB) utilize 100% of CPU cycles when run. This can cause undue strain on some CPUs and power supplies that aren't used to running at such levels for long periods of time. It's possible that your CPU might be overheating or your power supply can't keep both the CPU at 100% and your videocard running without problem (electrical current requirements). Overheating of the CPU may be the more likely of the two.

Your motherboard has an AMD northbridge and a VIA southbridge. XP should have the drivers do properly support both, but you may want to consider downloading the respective chipset drivers:

VIA 4-in-1 v. 4.45 (don't install the AGP portion)

AMD WinXP AGP driver v. 5.33 (second item down in list).

I suggest installing the VIA patch first (deselecting the AGP option if that is given) and then install the AMD AGP driver (but you may need to reboot after the VIA patch first).

You may want to consider a thermal monitoring program to check your motherboard/CPU temperatures like Motherboard Monitor or AIDA 32 (whose homepage seems to be down right now, so this link with the program approximately in the middle and bottom of the list respectively). There are several other programs you can try too, but I can't recall their names at the moment. The one problem with these programs is that they're dependent on the thermal diodes, hardware monitoring chips and BIOS calibrations to read the CPU temperature. These can often be off by up to 10º Celsius.