New Scenario: Bridge Busters

TOP SECRET:

US forces are organizing a surprise armored flanking manuever from the south. When the Syrian Army finds out about it, they will surely reroute their supply lines. Take your team to a bridge where we think they will try to cross. When and if they do, we will be ready for them. Link up with Syrian rebels and be ready to ambush them.

Good Luck. Move out.

END TOP SECRET

http://www.cmmods.com

Warning: There is one major problem with this scenario. I initially designed it thinking that the vehicles would not be able to move past the huge craters. I was wrong. So you've got to use a little bit of imagination and then it's not too shabby a mission. Let me know what you think!

Played though it last night for a Total Victory with nearly no casualties.

To say that the scenario was too easy would not be correct - most of my kills came from the 6 bombs dropped by the planes, and for all I know if I was to play through a second time all 6 of those bombs could completely miss and make the mission virtually impossible. I would say the scenario felt a bit too random for my linking - I didn't feel like all those burning tanks were a result of my superior tactic or good timing.

Speaking of tactics, I felt that there werent enough options for me to position my AT assets, especially considering how many of them I had. Besides, if the scenario expectation is to blow up the bridge and deny enemy armor passage all together, why would there be any AT assets there on the first place?

What I did like was the premise - quite a good idea mixing Red and Blue units, and I got a chuckle out of the Fox News Team.. hehe :P

I have to agree with you. Although, I do know the optimal places for the AT guys to win with or without the F-15's. I actually had them drop 5 bombs on one tank to take it out. The tank was sitting at the bottom of 4 large craters perfectly fine before the 5th one finally took him out.

The AT assets are there because that's how a small group of men would take out tanks. Sure the idea was to take out the bridge, but if any tanks make it past (they will usually) you're not throwing rocks at main battle tanks. Also, say the column suddenly was stuck on their side of the bridge. They would make easy pickings for a few guys with AT missiles.

Bottom line is having played through it several times, I sometimes had my butt kicked and sometimes I was able to win with very few casualties. That is why there are the number that there are. Quite a few of my missiles (maybe half) tend to fall short or miss entirely.

I could lower the number of missiles, but that's really pushing it if you don't get as lucky as you do.

Glad you like the news crew. Did you save them or let them die?

I thought the concept was neat, but the actual ability to implement just wasn't there. Maybe in the next iteration of this game they will include a means to build bridges. If a tiny program like Bridge Builder can do it, they can. I did feel that you either won hard or lost hard. No in between. None of my bombs hit so it was a cluster*uc$ altogether. Loved the Fox correspondents. You should have had some CNN guys across the street!

I thought the concept was neat, but the actual ability to implement just wasn't there. Maybe in the next iteration of this game they will include a means to build bridges. If a tiny program like Bridge Builder can do it, they can. I did feel that you either won hard or lost hard. No in between. None of my bombs hit so it was a cluster*uc$ altogether. Loved the Fox correspondents. You should have had some CNN guys across the street!

Thanks cabal23,

I agree. I had designed it (stupidly) thinking that vehicles wouldn't go through the HUGE craters. I was wrong. But I didn't want all that work to go to waste, so I put it out there anyway. Either way, there is still some fun to be had with this scenario.

Glad you like the Fox News guys! You know you get points if they don't die. Just one of those things that pops up during combat. It reminds me of the thing that made we want to join the navy and become a seal... in '93 when we went to somalia to give them food, I was watching the news. On LIVE tv, filmed by reporters on the somali beach, a small group of navy seals came ashore at night in a small inflatable, then ran up to a spot in the sand and dug up something that was buried (??!!) in the sand, and then they left. All the time yelling at the idiot reporters who were filming them with bright camera lights shined on them. The whole time I was freaking out at how kickass it was. Later, as the sun began to rise, you could see the Marines making their way inland. Very cool.

I have a funny story about SEALS too, I was stationed at 32nd St Naval Base San Diego and I was standing at the end of a pier talking to the guy on watch at the gate and it was dusk. I sat down on a pylon and I heard splashing behind me. Not long after SEALS begin climbing up onto the pier. Scared the holy ****e out of me. They had been practicing putting demo charges on the ships in harbor. After that I too wanted to be a SEAL too. I had a bunch of friends ring out and they were way tougher than me, so I gave up on that dream. We also had a good time with those guys during RIMPAC. They were aboard our frigate and they were going to infil the beach and take out several "red" barracks on the Hawaiian island the exercises were going on and come back to the ship. Somehow they managed to bring back beer. I have no idea how they did it, but they did. Hilarious.

Cabal23, funny you say that. When I was deployed to Roosevelt Roads Navy base in Puerto Rico, I ran into a couple while snorkeling. I dove down about 10 feet or so and saw a SEAL with scuba swimming another 20 feet down. As my breath started to run out, I looked up and BOOM, another SEAL and I were face to face, both startled. We surfaced and he asked who I was and I asked him what he was doing. Apparently, they were lobster hunting! :P.

On another occasion, I did a SEAL mission on them! I was in my snorkel gear and went next door (our camp was adjacent to the SEAL camp) to check things out. They had a couple of really badass blue and gray cammo speed boats. They kept them neatly tucked away in their own little harbor. I don't know what kind of boats they were, but they looked very high tech and stealthy. Looked like this but all tricked out with SEAL toys.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.navyboats.com/db5/00448/navyboats.com/_uimages/hsb08b.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.navyboats.com/&h=475&w=1165&sz=85&hl=en&start=9&um=1&usg=__cMG_XPA9irdsA3s_LfOzGMKtmrE=&tbnid=pL-NSeibIv3ikM:&tbnh=61&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnavy%2Bseal%2Bboat%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DG

Pretty cool.