british hand grenade/mine anti tank no 75 hawkins

can anyone tell me when this (no75 hawkins) grenade/mine antitank entered service

ospreys wwii infantry anti tank tactics states 1942 ,also saw it on some website cant remember where had same entry date.

another magazine i have orbis publication war machine states it was used pre dunkirk the germans captured a lot of them at dunkirk and used them themselves as panzerabwehrmine 429/1(e) confused some one know which is right .

Hogg's ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMMUNITION. p. 116 says 1942. Wiki (below) agrees, citing a different Hogg book.

Having checked my own copy of Hogg's Encyclopaedia of Infantry Weapons of WW2, I can find no reference to the date of introduction of the Hawkins mine. Annoyingly, there also seems to be no indication in The British Army Handbook (either the Chaberlain & Ellis or the Forty ones), nor even in my trusty 1975 Jane's Infantry Weapons, which covers quite a few old items.

The most believeable source I can find in five minutes with Google is David Boyd's page:

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/grenades.aspx

...which would seem to indicate that John K is right is thinking any reference to Dunkirk mistaken.

All the best,

John.

dog of war,

It's not in my 1998-1999 JANE'S MINES AND MINE CLEARANCE, but I think this might be the cover of it. Certainly, the shape is mushroom like.

http://www.visualcollector.com/Tommy/TommyStuff/MineCover.jpg

British mines are not my strong suit. You read the description, but did you notice the table here? Almost didn't catch it myself! That gray box holds a wealth of information on what you seek.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/mines.aspx

Regards,

John Kettler

dog of war,

When I first read the page, I was simply looking for the mention of the mine you sought, and I found that in the body text. Later, I went back and noticed the meaty table. Outside of the pic, that's the most I was able to find on the specifics. Did you see the CM groggery and energy find thread? If not, take a gander. Quite a few of the mines mentioned there are British. Have you tried the HMSO series on WW II? Would think there'd be something there, given the considerable space devoted to the issue of guns vs. armor in the Middle East volume. Would imagine there's an Ordnance volume in there somewhere. If you think the British are funny about mines, take a look at how "Bomber" Harris was treated after the War.

Regards,

John Kettler