Beyond Overlord - Save Games

I've had CM:B and CM:AK for about a year and have no problems. I recently purchased CM:Beyond Overlord and discovered that I cannot save games. I hit 'Alt+S', I get the box, enter a name and ckick but no game is ever saved. There is no problem with Afrika or Barbarossa. Is this a problem beyond my own game disc?

Originally posted by Alte Hase:

I've had CM:B and CM:AK for about a year and have no problems. I recently purchased CM:Beyond Overlord and discovered that I cannot save games. I hit 'Alt+S', I get the box, enter a name and ckick but no game is ever saved. There is no problem with Afrika or Barbarossa. Is this a problem beyond my own game disc?

Have you tried using the "save" button at the bottom of the screen in the interface area?

Thanks everyone.

Overlord does not have a 'save' button on the screen like Barbarossa & Afrika. So I use 'Alt+S.'

I loaded all 3 games for full installation ( on a Win XP, P4 ) but they all 3 require a cd when I start ( solitare play not MP) and Barbarossa and Afrika save OK.

You need to have the cd in the drive - but you must not start from the cd. I don't use Autoplay so I don't know if the cd asks automatically whether to start the game when you put it into drive. But if it does, try answering no and start the game from the desktop shortcut instead (or from the CMBO directory). Then see if you can save.

Typically this is when you don't have permission to write in the folder your CM is started in.

Unfortunately CM belongs to those kind of applications that just omit any kind of error checking or messages for filesystem errors :(

Reasons can be:

- started from CD

- started from network drive which is readonly

- started from NTFS or other filesystem with user-specific permissions and your currently logged in userid may not write there

Best check is to start a different application in the same folder as CM is and try to save anything from that application. Or use the command prompt, cd to that dir and say "dir > l".

[ August 13, 2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]