Javelin under powered?

i was playing CMSF last night and I was playing one of the early campaign missions in which I get a recon platoon of strykers and two tow carrying strykers. of coarse when the tanks came at the end of the level I had my infantry use javelins against them. But I noticed that some of the tanks( they were t62s) would take two or three hits to kill. I could not believe this, so I went on line to find out about the effectiveness of a javelin and I found this video on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dezg8aflMmk

I guess I just feel like it should not take three javelins to kill a t62

To me it seems like range matthers, because when firing close (up to 3-400m) with javs on tanks they get direct KO. but when firing on long ranges they take 2-3 javs to kill, like that campain scenario where you have a scout platoon and 2 ATGM strykers, the javs firiing out in the desert on max range rarely kill anything. Weird?

Range should have very little effect on the Javelin's lethality. It's a self-guided HEAT warhead. Assuming it locks on correctly and hits the target, the effect is going to be the same at 200m as it is at 2km. Maybe a very slight improvement in lethality at closer ranges due to additional unburned rocket adding a secondary incendiary effect, but this would be a very minor difference against an AFV, if measurable at all.

The one exception is at very close ranges; in this case the Javelin can't follow a top-attack profile and reverts to a direct flight mode, where it is likely to have to penetrate thicker armor, esp. for a frontal aspect shot. I don't remember the range cutoff for this off the top of my head, but IIRC it's sub-200m.

However, CMSF does incoporate a "Death Clock." Your units can't always tell right away if an enemy vehicle is KOed by a hit. I have definitely seen situations where my units will take a second, and even a third shot at an enemy AFV that was probably KOed by the first hit. This may be what you are seeing, as longer range makes if more difficult for the AT team to accurately assess the effects of the strike hit.

At least, I'm pretty sure this is the way it works. My in-game experience definitely suggests this is what's going on.

Cheers,

YD

If you look at the thread I posted above, it seems that at range the javelin can be defeated by top mounted equipment such as the mg (probably a bug?). If you scroll down the thread you can see a javelin when fired in direct mode was defeated by hitting obliquely on the ERA of the T72, which I don't think is a bug.