Who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

The game engine supports ~200 combatants at any one time (soldiers or vehicles) as long as the on-screen functioning (non-destroyed or killed) combatants hovers at a maximum of those numbers, it is technically possible to spawn an unlimited number of additional troops through scripting.

It theoretically possible but I've only on a few occasions managed to successfully process more than 500 units through a mission. I've found that even though groups are set sleep=true the game will crash loading the mission with annoying regularlity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As I said before you can set up lots of groups set to sleep & when forces are reduced to within the limitations of the game wake them up with a ReinforcementLand command using code something like this (which is for tank reinfs) :-

label 3

Delay ( 60000 )

SetWorkArmy ( Army , 1 )

Set @Uk_Tanks1 = GetNUnits ( ARMY , 1 , TANKS , NOT_EMPTY , OK_WEAPON , OK_ENGINE )

if ( @Uk_Tanks1 < 5 ) Then

ReinforcementLand ( Group , "Group_Churchills" )

Delay ( 1000 )

SendMessage ( "Churchills" , 10000 )

delay ( 5000 )

RunTrigger ( "Reinforcement1" )

destroytrigger ( "Reinforcement" )

ENDIF

goto 3

Halt

This goes on ad naseum, you need to set up alot of groups & units, I don't think that you can reuse groups although I haven't tested this.

However I've found that the game often fails to load & have not managed > 500 units on more than a few occasions. All that said I'm not the best coder so there may be a better way that doesn't cause the game to crash on initial mission load.