QB question

Ok, I took out all the original qb maps. Then I put in all the qb maps that I downloaded. Went to play a qb and got the same generic map - on large and medium - that I had in the first place. So how do I get different qb maps in the game, better yet how do I choose my map and how do I choose my force size?

Okay, first of all, you didn't need to remove the original qb maps. Some of them are actually very good but don't worry, that's not going to be a problem.

Then you unzipped all the qb maps you downloaded from CMMods into your QB Maps folder? If you've already done that, then you shouldn't really be having a problem. But lets continue...

Now, you go to the main menu in the game, click on Quick Battles and you see a number of parameters. Terrain type, size, time, battle size etc. You don't get to pick your map, the game does it for you. It selects one randomly from your QB folder maps depending on the terrain and size parameters you selected. If there's not a map in your folder that matches the parameters you entered (very unlikely if you unzipped everything), you return to the main menu with no warning.

As for forces, be prepared for a bit of a disappointment as you can't pick your forces, only the size of them and roughly what type. You are definitely going to get some pretty spectauclarly BAD match ups. But occassionally you get a winner too.

But please don't focus too much on the QB system. The scenario editor in CMSF is the REAL star of the show. There are some brilliant scenarios waiting for you both on your hard drive and at CMMods, trust me. Once you get a feel for the modern era combat, you won't look back and you'll be lusting for CMx2 WW2 when it comes sometime next year. IMHO, this is the best wargame EVER but presently, the QB system is below par.

I'm starting to get a feel for the quick battles. Looked at a few maps and they all seem similar, really very generic. Nothing to get excited about. Did some research and it looks like a high priority for bfc is improving the qb system. I also found out how to use the qb4 at cmmods. You set up a separate folder and can choose force size for all large maps.

And I understand what you're saying re scenarios. I had already been to cmmods and downloaded ALL they have. Along with some interesting looking mods. That should keep me busy for a while.

I never thought I'd like the modern as much as ww2 but the Syrian conflict is interesting because it somewhat models what our soldiers and marines have been going through in Iraq the last few years. Well, I played cmx1 since it came out and it looks like time to upgrade.

If you've got them ALL, then you've got enough to last you until the Brit pack arrives next year. You might want to give some of the Red v Red stuff a go too. It's very different and will show you a whole new side to CMSF. And no doubt there'll be a flurry of new stuff after the Marines module arrives. Happy hunting!

I never thought I'd like the modern as much as ww2 but the Syrian conflict is interesting because it somewhat models what our soldiers and marines have been going through in Iraq the last few years. Well, I played cmx1 since it came out and it looks like time to upgrade.

same here.