Frequent Crashing in Large Scenarios......

with Win ME, Ti4200 with latest official drivers (and the previous ones). I've been trying to find the cause for a couple weeks now. It's not FSAA, it's not sound related, it's not smoke/fog related. It happens even after a fresh boot. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens most of the time with large scenarios. It happens during playback. It happens during an orders only phase. It happens with sound on or off.

I can run 3DMark2000 and 2001 for over thirty minutes flawlessly (never tried longer).

I reinstalled the OS yesterday, but the problem remains. I'm really stumped on this one.

The screen just all of a sudden goes to large light colored pixels. The OS is completely frozen when this happens. I must pull the plug or push the reset button to reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Treeburst155 out.

Hi CapDog!

How goes it over there in Red China?

I think I figured it out. I'm 90% sure it IS my soundcard. It was making the game crash, even with sound turned off. I switched to my old Soundblaster PCI 128 and the problem is gone. My guess, and it little more than a guess, is that Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcards in conjunction with Gainward Ti4200 is a bad combination for CM for some reason. It could be the driver combo rather than the hardware itself. Actually, it could be MANY things, but I've managed to fix it with the soundcard replacement. Who needs a fancy soundcard anyway for CM.

Treeburst155 out.