Changing resolution? Video tweaks?

Just bought the game,CMBO, and I know this is a older title....therefore it has somewhat dated graphics....don't get me wrong here I like this game......but it look like mud set a 800x600 resolution....yet I did a search on this forum for the topic " resolution" among other topic headings in hope of finding some information pertaining to possible visual tweeks & resolution change....came across someone stating that they changed thier game resolution to "1024 x 768", well when I start up the game the only possible resolution options that I'am allowed are "800x600/720x576/640x480", this is with a 19" misubitishi monitor NEC/ AMD XP2400+/ Nvidia2 8x mobo/ 768ddram (pc3200)/ fx5600ultra 128mb.....so how can I change my resolution to that high of an setting? and are there any general visual improvement tweaks for this games engine?...thank you.

[ September 16, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: FatherTime ]

Deleting the "Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs" file will force CMBO to go through the resolution selection process. The first and highest resolution offered should be your current desktop resolution or something close to it. CM generally maxes out at 1600x1200 (I believe that is true for CMBO). It won't support every possible resolution (since some cards support some slightly odd resolutions). However your refresh rate offered on this first resolution might be higher than your current refresh rate. CM will utilize the highest refresh rate defined by the video drivers and possibly the monitor definition file.

I suggest setting your desktop resolution to what you would like CM to use (though this should be a resolution that is equal to or lower than what you normally use on a day-to-day basis), before running CM after having deleted the Prefs file.

Sucsessive options offered after the initial resolution/refresh rate will be lower refresh rates until 60Hz is reached, then the next lower 'standard' resolution will be offered at the highest refresh rate that the driver/monitor def defines.

If you run CM at any time when your desktop is set to a lower resolution than what CM has stored in its Prefs file, then you will go through the resolution selection process again.

If you're running a resolution at or over 1024 x 768, then I would have assumed that would have been the first resolution offered. Something may be wrong with your DirectX/video driver setup if only 800x600 or lower is offered.

[ September 18, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]