Help with facing pls?

Webwing and Mark,

thanks for checking this out.

The issue is not troubling me very much in that particular scenario. I had released some earlier versions before and it doesn't impact the mission in any noticable way. I noticed it myself only when I was reworking the scenario for another update.

btw. you can overcome the AI facing problem by setting the vehicle status to "immobilized" - of course this is not always desirable.

@Billy,

the most common way to get some water is currently to use marsh tiles (some also use other tiles) and apply a water texture to them.

No real water effects, but the tiles are impassable and look better than brown marsh when you want to have rivers or lakes in a scenario. Of course these mods will make all marsh tiles look like water, so you will have to uninstall the mod if you want your marsh back. ;)

There are water texture mods available on CMMODS.com , just search for "water".

Billy,

I think the Falkland's conflict is a great subject for a game. It involves a lot of infantry in some quite tactically challenging situations and terrain.

I've always wanted to make some scenarios based on this for CM:SF.

I have plans to recreate all the battles that took place in the Falklands when the British Module comes out. The Syrians could very well play the part of the Argentines. And we could have a MOD to make them look like them!

As for designing scenarios, I gather you are new to it.

When I first started with CM:SF editor what I did was open scenarios from other designers in the editor. I chose scenarios from very experienced guys. You can't imagine how much you learn by looking at them in the editor and trying to understand what they did. You then play their missions and see all that at work. It's amazing.

I'd recommend you look into missions made by George Mc and MarkEzra. There are many excellent scenario designers around but those two are extremely experienced guys. Their scenarios are usually not too big either. They are very thorough and methodical in the way they go about building their scenarios. Consequently they are very good examples to learn from.

Try to understand how they use parameters. How they use setup zones, AI plans, etc.

Obviously you should read the part of the manual that talks about mission design as well.

It's true this will take some time but it's time well spent. And it is a very enjoyable process too.

By the time you start building your own scenarios you will find then that you have many more tools at your disposal than you had before. And I'm sure you will spend less time back and forth fixing things and trying to learn only by trial and error.

-

[ May 31, 2008, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

birdstrike,

Another way around this would be to have an advance command to a tile facing in the right direction. You would place your units a bit further back from where you want them to be.

The only drawback I can think of is the fact that your units will move as the mission starts which might make them easier to be spotted by the enemy.

-

• 3 weeks later...

so i didnt saw that thread so far, i have similar problems too in some places.

for me it looks like this;

i only saw it with ATGM teams so far, i have a AT-4 and AT-3 team facing a certain direction, and every time i leave the "deploy red" thingy and enter it again they have roted a bit counter clock whise.

means after some times entering and leaving "deploy red" they have rotates to the other side, or totaly around, depends on how often i do it.

the only way to get em to face in the right direction is and was to enter "deploy red" set their facing, leave that mode and save the map. if i enter it again they will rotate but if i do not but save and leave the editor and load up the scenario they face the right direction.

so for me it comes down to checking all faceings of units befor a scenario is finished, and i save and leave than and dont go into deploy red again it will work, and only than.

EDIT:

also i remember the same with bunkers. i place em in a "legal" place in the deploy screen, and when i load up the map their on the map edge, with a different facing,...means they rotated itself and the place wich was good to set em up became invalid after the facing changed(i was only able to place em there with a certain facing, all other directions where not possible).

i found in that scenario i cant place a bunker "realibly" somewhere where it does not have place to rotate. becouse if it should choose to do so, it will end up on the map edge.

re: bunkers

I've noticed this, too.

It happens with a map which was created with an earlier version of the game (can't remember, 1.05 or 1.06?).

Bunkers relocate themselves at the edge of the map, no matter where I try to set them up.

Doesn't seem to happen with maps created with the 1.8 patch, though.

if you remember playing/testing my red stream mission, i/you had that problem there too. once a bunker apeared on the mapedge, and i had no clue why. later i found out.

now iam doing "red stream lite", along the lines you suggested back than as its to big for the most people to sit down and try it,...whatever i cut off the map but i still have the rotating bunkers and ATGM´s in that mission :D

quiet annoying...

EDIT:

to add here, the map was created in 1.07, so something must have changed from 1.07 to 1.08.

[ June 21, 2008, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Pandur ]