Unit Organization

Any chance of the ability to add new unit trees?

Example being, FCo/2BN/75Rgr (A) - 1st Pltn., 3x Assault, 1x HMG, 6x m1114, blah blah, and so on.

If I am unclear, maybe the ability to add or redefine the organization of units?

Example 2, ODA 5xx - 2x 6man teams, 1x CCT, Xx attachments.

I heavily doubt you can, but figured I'd ask. It's starting to get hairy in the editor with renaming and retasking...

The way I'd like it to work is as follows:

1. You buy a whole TOE (e.g. a US Army Stryker battalion) and then prune it down to the units within the TOE that you actually want to use. At this stage you might have to keep some higher echelon HQ units you don't want if they have attached units (e.g. if you want to use the battalion sniper team, you have to have the battalion HQ as well).

2. You reorganise the TOE, by dragging units up and down the tree (possibly with some restrictions such as not allowing higher echelon HQs to be attached to lower echelon ones). For instance, in the example above, the battalion sniper team could be dragged down to within 1st platoon, A company. The game would then create/break the necessary C2 connections to attach the unit to its new parent formation.

3. After reorganising the TOE, you can then remove any HQ units you had to keep in step 1. In the example of the battalion sniper team being attached to 1st platoon, A company, you could now remove the battalion HQ.

4a. Now that the tree has been finalised, you edit individual units. For instance, in a particular squad, you could make one man lightly wounded (yellow) and another man severely wounded (red) to simulate casualties that have occurred in the minutes preceding the scenario. Similarly, you could remove some men altogether to simulate gaps in the ranks from casualties in previous battles. You could also change the weapons of some men. For instance, for a particular squad, you could swap one man's M4 rifle for an M249 AR to simulate a weapon being acquired from a wounded soldier in a previous battle.

4b. As an alternative to the above, the editor could have a button to automatically create gaps in the ranks, using a percentage of men lost provided by the scenario designer. Similarly, another button could automatically create red and yellow casualties based on a percentage provided. Perhaps a third button could even do random weapon changes to simulate breakages and weapons being acquired in previous battles.

5. With all such adjustments made, you now deploy the full TOE on the map. At this stage, any soldiers designated as severely wounded (red) can be split from their parent unit and placed separately on the map. For instance, a particular squad might be set up in one place but 2 of its men designated as severely wounded could be placed 100m further away. This would be useful to simulate situations in which a unit has been ambushed in the minutes preceding the battle, took casualties, and bugged out to some nearby cover leaving the casualties where they fell.

If all this was implemented, I think the opportunities it would create for scenario designers would be very great.

[ February 19, 2008, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]