Mac crash's

Running: G4 powerbook 1Ghz

I'm new to the wonderful world of Mac's and I've been having some problems with CMBB, which I recently purchased.

After much hairpulling, I successfully installed CMBB under OS 9.2 and was having a whale of a time until my game came grinding to a premature halt (system froze). I rebooted, but the graphics came back showing distorted tile-sets and colours. No problem, I thought, and promptly deleted the previous install, and (attempted) to reinstall. However now it gets about three quarters of the way through, freezes again during the install, and gives me a "type 2 error" whatever that means, when I try and run the program.

Sorry if this is all a bit muppet-like, but any advice anyone has would be much appreciated... from what I played, this game rocks!

Unless you had disk corruption the first time around (or installed mods), uninstalling and reinstalling shouldn't have been necessary. A better choice would have been to run Disk FirstAid or whatever file check utility to see if there were any file problems.

Perhaps there is a problem with the extensions you're loading. What graphics chip does your G4 1GHz have (you may need to run System Profiler to check) ? I'm assuming that it is a Radeon 9000. If this is the case, do you have the beta driver that has been offered by Madmatt in this thread ? If you do, perhaps you need to reinstall it since part of what you're describing sounds like the driver issue with the Radeon 9000 family on the Mac.

However I'm not sure why you're getting a "Type 2" error during the install. Are there any scratches on your CMAK CD ? If there are you may need some sort of plastic polish to buff them out, though I don't know if a read error on a CD would result in a Type 2 error on a Mac.

Do you have a memory upgrade installed on this PowerBook ? Can you uninstall it to see if this makes any difference ?

I tried following that thread to track down the Beta? version of the ATI driver... the one that corrects the psycodelic colours, but as yet with no joy. Is this driver still not commercially available, and if not does anyone out there know where I can get my greedy little hands on a copy?

Cheers!

If you read the thread you'll see that Madmatt is offering to email the beta drivers to those that need them. Apparently, as far as we can tell, ATI has yet to release them to Apple (or Apple hasn't released them for whatever reason, a distinct possibility).

Just email Madmatt at support@battlefront.com or possibly directly. He should email the drivers to you. I have actually just done so myself (I had to search for them), but I'm mailing them from a PC and they may not come across intact for you to use them. They have been sent to the email address you have listed in your profile.