AI mode tip

Check Plans and Orders and make sure you start clean. If you have Plan 1, Order 2 and paint the map, make sure you don't have Plan 2, Order 2 painting somewhere else. The AI gets confused (and does nothing) or charges men off in the wrong direction.

Check status of your troops. If they are Conscripts with Low motivation and poor leadership, they ain't gonna attack anywhere.

Check status of your orders - use the Active setting if your men are reluctant to come forward. Its a whip to low morale.

Ditch map setup areas; I find troops in them treat that as a final target. I hate em - issue Plans and Orders instead.

Use Terrain Objectives, but carefully, otherwise they might clash with Plans and Orders.

What I've noticed is that it takes quite a bit testing to get the AI do what you want. It's a new area and as patches change path finding and other things, even a plan that worked well in one version might need some tuning in the next.

Like you see from blow56's list, there are many many things that you need to consider.