Javelin Area fire

Does anyone know a realiable method of getting striker teams to area fire their Javelins at buildings?

I've been able to make it happen a few times, but not 100%.

For example in the 2nd Campaign mission I've tried dismounting a squad a good distance outside the wall, to have them area target the rooftops of some buildings inside the wall where I've spotted infantry. My squad has los and fires small arms at the building, but even though I've aquired the CLU and Javelin ammo, they won't launch any missiles.

Any tips?

Originally posted by wolf66:

I had them fire the Javelins at buildings with the "target light" command .....

That's extremely counter-intuitive and should be a bug. I usually "target light" when I positively don't want them to expend Javelins.

Was this since 1.2, or have I been lucky in 1.1?

Originally posted by ADDAX:

For example in the 2nd Campaign mission I've tried dismounting a squad a good distance outside the wall, to have them area target the rooftops of some buildings inside the wall where I've spotted infantry. My squad has los and fires small arms at the building, but even though I've aquired the CLU and Javelin ammo, they won't launch any missiles.

It could be that some of your men had LOS, while the guy with the actual launcher did not.

Originally posted by Xipe66:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wolf66:

I had them fire the Javelins at buildings with the "target light" command .....

That's extremely counter-intuitive and should be a bug. I usually "target light" when I positively don't want them to expend Javelins.

Was this since 1.2, or have I been lucky in 1.1? </font>

Originally posted by generaljon:

in the training mission 2,where all strykers are immobilised,i can't get them to fire on the 3 tanks in the distance.I targeted the normally, but they only fire MG's????WHY?!

The Javelins aren't meant to be fired from inside the vehicle.

Select passengers.

'Acquire' -- Javelin command module.

'Acquire' -- 1-3 Javelin ATGMs.

Disembark.

Target tank with the infantry.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ADDAX:

It could be that some of your men had LOS, while the guy with the actual launcher did not. </font>

Whoa... lotsa action since I last dropped by...

Anyways, thanks for all the tips.

Molloy's method of selecting the "Anti-tank team" worked great.

It's also worth pointing out that though it looks like you've split your squad when you do this,(two separate infatry icons float above the squad) the squad is not permanantly split. After the squad fires at their targets in the action phase, the squad is returned to a single unit in the next orders phase.

I'm glad this is the case since managing split squads, if you don't need to send the teams in different places, is a bit of a pain. Not to mention the fact you can't remerge split squads.

Such nice collapsing buildings... smile.gif