Anyone else having problems with catalyst 8.5?

I had no problems running CMSF in the past up until either 1.06 or the latest catalyst drivers.

I upgraded v1.06 with the all-inclusive v1.08 patch, but the game now crashes after pressing start in the mission briefing.

The game loads fine and I can hear the sounds running in the briefing screen, but when I want to enter the 3D world the game exits with an error.

Before I try a clean re-install are there any known issues with the latest cats, or shouldn't I have upgraded from 1.06 to 1.08?

Check to see if your card settings are still the same as before you did the upgrade. I kept having problems with the desktop resolution feature not working at all from the menu system. Turns out the driver upgrade had reset all options and chosen 16-bit color by default. After resetting it back to 32-bit desktop resolution option worked fine again.

Of course, that's not nearly the same problem as an overt system crash. Still, it's a good first step in troubleshooting the problem.

I did a clean reinstall and the game works flawlessly again. Seems that updating v1.06 to 1.08 with the all inclusive patch might glitch your install?

Note that I haven't changed any display settings nor driver versions. A clean install was all that was necessary.

• 3 weeks later...