Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CD-rom error

I get this CD-rom error everytime I run CM on my new windows 2000p machine. Is there anyway to get rind of the annoying cdrom use by the game while its playing? Would uninstalling, then installing it from the HD eliminate this?

Here is what happens with the error. I load up a game and get into the map screen. I hear the cdrom drive whirring at this point. Then a short tim after I have been flying around the screen the cd-rom stutters and then sounds like its moving at a slower speed. Thats on my 98 machine. When it gets to the point of the pause in 2000 it crashes. Everything freezes and the sound loops. I look in my event viewer and I see that there is a controler eror for the cd-rom. (I'm replacing the cabel today).

Will installing CM from the HD get rid of the annoying cdrom noise? I like to sneak a game or two at night and it makes so much noise! (I use headphones for the sound)

Usually you'll want to perform a 'full install' which takes about 347Mb of disk space. The CD is required to be present for copy protection purposes (a majority of games utilize some form of CD-based copy protection). The CD is usually checked when you first load up CM. I believe it may get checked when you go to edit/create scenarios too, but I'm not sure of the details. Copying all of the CD's files to the hard drive will not work. There are software programs that 'crack' the copy protection code (or you can find 'cracked' versions of a game or program) and either completely disable checking or allow you to have the program check the files on the hard drive. However these programs, in one form or another, violate the license you agree to when you install CM (and other games/programs).

Do you have any other problems with the CDROM drive in your Windows 2000 machine, such as playing music CD's or reading/copying other CD's ?

I checked it out and the CD-rom error was a controler error. I replaced the cable and have opened up my case. My problem also has to do with heat spikes on the Athlon chips. Mine are 1800+MP's. I'm modifying my case to include giant heat sinks. With the case open I can run it for hours.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]</p>