CTD in Win XP under Bootcamp

Waiting for the Mac OSx version of CMSF, I installed the game (updating to 1.07) on my iMAC (Intel Core 2 duo 2,4 ghz, 2gb ram, 320 gb hard disk, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO), where I have a bootcamp partition with Windows Xp professional sp2.

The problem arises when, after loading a scenario, I select any unit: the game CDT. On the other hand, navigating into the map and zooming in and out doesn't create any problem.

I searched for this topic into the forum without finding precise information.

Suggestions and support would be very appreciated

Thanks

I have almost your exact setup. Only significant differences I can see is that is I have 4gb RAM, and just plain-vanilla Win XP. I doubt either of these makes much of a difference though.

Have you turned on "ATI left click compatibility" in the options panel? This was necessary in my case. Though for me, with ATI left click compatibility off, the game simply perpetually redraws ground textures; I didn't get a CTD.

Also, make sure you have the most current drivers for your 2600 PRO from ATI. I don't know for sure if this makes a difference, but I updated my drivers before I booted up CMSF for the first time.

Hope this helps,

YD

p.s. If nothing else, hopefully the promised OSX native version will be out in a few months. . .

Well my XP Pro SP2 equipped MacBook Pro is doing fine with everything to date (including 1.08 Betas).

It has the ATI Radeon X1600 with 256Mb.

I haven’t clicked the ATI compatibility box.

I’d also recommend updating the ATI drivers (from memory there is a thread here somewhere about some patches that BootCamp needed in the Public Beta stage (not sure if still required).

The only issue I have is I have to run it at “balanced” settings.

I’ll also ask the dumb question : “Did you get any error messages, and if so, what were they?”

As for the OS X version, more news as it comes to hand but the vibe I’m getting is that development wont start until after the USMC module is out for PC’s.

Originally posted by Nicdain:

Thanks everybody! It was the Left click option. Now it works fine, although the cursor seems a little bit less precise.

Ya. In my experience, it's not that bad, tho.

Seems to mostly be an issue with very shallow view angles (i.e., "1" or "2" height). Top down, the cursor seems much more accurate. So I usually do any really intricate orders plotting in one of the top-down views.

I've actually found one of the best views for orders plotting is to put the camera at the "4" height, but manually adjust the camera angle to point a bit more downward. So you're mostly looking down, but you still get some 3D perspective.

Cheers,

YD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have also had mixed results with crashing. I have XP Home under OS 10.5 Bootcamp with a MBP 17" 256MB X1600 and 2 Gb of RAM. I have had at least one crash each scenario I played (mostly the training campaign) with the ATI compatibility both on and off.

GibsonM, I have updated my drivers from the ATI website and done the Dual Core patch as well as whatever upgrades and patches MSoft sends through the auto update.

Does using the balanced and ATI Off keep your MBP from crashing? I turned my settings up since the graphics were so cool to watch smile.gif but I guess I will put them back to balanced if that keeps it from crashing.

Does playing in RT or WEGO have any affect on the stability?

I am also still pretty jerky with the camera controls, does a lot of camera movement affect stability?

I am really getting into the game and can live with a FEW crashes..after all Windows is as Windows does...

BUT OYYYY, I sure hope the Mac version, whenever it comes out, doesn't crash this much.