Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Strange sound then game minimizes

I'm having an annoying issue with the game where it will suddenly lock-up - there is a distorted "looping burp" sound in the left channel which then moves to the right channel and then game minimizes to the desktop in pause mode. Now here's the weird part - My sound control panel pops up with a question box "Which device did you plug in?"

Uh, nothing Mr. Computer, I'm just trying to play a game here.....

Sometimes the game doesn't minimize, but recovers on it's own after about 3-4 seconds and then the screen textures refresh....Otherwise I have to click on the taskbar indicator for CMSF and hit ESC to resume the game. This happens randomly and about 5-6 times during a mission. The game never crashes, just makes the strange digital hash noise sound and then recovers or minimizes to desktop.

Now this is strange because (as far as I know) I'm not running the audio control panel in background, so this thing is launching itself.

I use on-board audio Realtek HD 7.1 on a Nvidia chipset motherboard. What does this error have to do with the sound control panel launching? What does it think I'm trying to plug-in?

Very confusing. I believe it was happening with 1.05 and now with 1.06, but not the earliest incarnations of the game. Could this still be a video driver issue. I've tried newer and older drivers but it won't go away.

I think your soundcard has automatic jack sensing, and if it thinks it has had something plugged or unplugged, it will launch that dialogue. If the new program is launched CMSF will automatically minimise which might explain the weird sounds as it is shut down while the other program loads up.

I am guessing you have a loose connector or something, which thinks it's being unplugged. I think in that same plug connection software you can specify another jack as the speaker output, so maybe you could try that.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, but the "which device did you plug in" thing is pretty odd, being a hardware based thing, its hard to imagine CM causing it.

If the sound program is the cause, you could probably shut down the Realtek software and just use the windows mixer?

Just theories anyway, hope it helps somehow!