Mono possible!?

Errrrr, are you saying you only have the right speaker or are you saying you only have ONE speaker?

Stereo sound should come through one speaker evenly! And if you only have the right speaker get some new ones for gods sake, i recomend Altec Lansing (very boomy) :D

iam really saying i have only one(1) speaker :D

the thing is, i mostly hear electronic music, and i have a big single box with 3 speakers in it(low,mid and high frequencys). you can imagine it like a "concert grade" box. its pretty big.

now add to this a 20m² room wich is just 2m high.

between the PC and the box is an amplifier(sp!?), and sice its just one speaker, it is pluged into the right channel and the amplifier balance turned all the way to the right. winamp is set to mono output.

all fine, the speaker rocks this room including all neighbours around if i want. it also would provide me with more than nice explosions from the game, but unfortunately ... ;)

[Q]Stereo sound should come through one speaker evenly[/Q]

sure, but you need to put the source to mono in order to hear both channels on one side(right side for the most).

Hi after many hours wailing and gnashing teeth trying to get a soundcard to mix stereo to mono on chip with ALSA in Linux, I can tell you that the easiest way to get mono from a stereo source is to sacrifice a stereo cable (from PC to amp) and physically splice the left and right channels together...simple and very effective! smile.gif

[ January 08, 2008, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: J_Toe ]

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately it doesent worked out too well.

i somehow made it but i loose about 75% of the sinal/power...dont know how to say it better.

i have to turn up the amp pretty high in order to hear something.

now there are games where i can simply select mono output, that would be the easiest for me if such an option(or hotkey) could be included...but i still need a short therm solution. is there something like a hitch/coupler wich can plug the stereo cable on one side and merge them into one, to plug this into the left or right channel at the amplifier!?

hm i connected L + R but whats ive!?

but maybe you assume i have different hardware than i/we have over here.

the standart stereo cable, one similar to that i have, over here look like this...

b152024.jpg

now i have the 3.5mm chinch pluged into the front jack on the PC and than it gets split into left and right channel wich is respectively plugged to the left and right plug in the amplifier AUX section. the amplifier does not have any 3.5mm female jack. just the femal Red/Whilte ones(dont know how they are called) you can see on the cable.

i cut off both, the red and white plug and merged those cables together, than i merged this end into the wire from one of the cut plugs.

somehow it doesnt work to good.

so i would need something like the thing you showed me but for this plugs respectively. it needs to be able to take the two cannels, combine the signal, and put it out through "one" of the same type of plug in order to be able to plug it to the amp, as it wont take anything else.

antother thing, maybe i took the wire protection in the cable for the cable i need. are these cable build like coax cables with wire protection!?

if yes i have probably connected the protection wires. below the first insulation is wire, after that is a tiny cable in the middle, insulated and having itself a most tiny wire inside. i didnt thought that i need this tiny crap, its so tiny i could barily touch it :D

thanks for hanging out with me on that matter, acually i didnt though i have to try that hard get nice sound output from the game(i could all times plug my screchy headphones). its pretty unimmersive to hear just one side of the battlefield(am i van gogh!?). a mono output shouldnt be the strangest thing people want, its pretty reasonable. on the other hand, everywhere is stereo throwen after you, and today allready souround sound stuff for pretty chap so i guess not many are around with a mono setup.

still iam more than pleased with my mono setup here, i cant understand what people want more than good sounding music :D

Hi Pandur,

I was waiting to get back into work and then post you a picture if my setup but it looks like you've sorted it out!

My cable is like the one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNaCP3Ala7c

BUT... I soldered the red *AND* white from the 3.5mm end to the red *OR* white on the RCA(amplifier) end (if that makes sense!) and then black/copper to black/copper.

i see, interesting. here, there is no "ground" cable. just left and right split into red and white like on the picture above.

and the cables are indeed different. there where he removed the insultaion in the video, and the 3 little cables came out, is a wire protection here.

like the layers are; insulation, protective wire, inulation of the inner cable, wire in the inner cable(the wire i would have needed).

and i took the protective wire for the inner cable. pretty stupid :D

however, now i found something like this, that solved it.

Adpt-2RcfRcm.jpg

thanks for your help!