CMAK Installl Problems

Had to re-install CMAK doe to corrupted hard drive.

CD wll nor auto run in either drive I have; same goes from setup.

I've tried the tips in the sticky, but to no avail.

The drives work with other apps both in auto run and setup modes (ie run then setup etc).

I have windows xp home edition. For what it's worth, the game worked jusr fine before the hard drive was replaced. itsl still the same dvd and cd rom drives and they both appear to be working fine.

I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. Then the problems started with CMAK.

I've been able to install other programs, but not CMAK. Keep getting an error message 23, I/O error.

I've uninstalled ans reinstalled CD ROM drivers.

Recently I had copy protection program installed on PC when I bought Silent Hunter III. Could thst program still have settings in my registry file that is causing drives not to install CMAK? Andi if possible, how to I fix (ran Starforce supplied cleaner to get rid of program and, as I said had to reformat/reinstall XP)?

Obviously I'm floundering around here for possible answers.

If you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, click on the Task Manager button and in the Applications and Processes tabs what do you have running ? If you have anti-virus software running in the background you may need to disable its "active/realtime checking".

I've heard of the hassles involved with the StarForce copy protection software that installs on user machines. I wouldn't necessarily think that it is the culprit here however. There have been claims of it causing problems with USB drives that might be accurate, depending on the version of StarForce that has been installed.

How is your CD/DVD drive hooked up to your computer ? Is it on an internal IDE port ? Does it share that IDE connection with another device (with it being either the slave or master) ? Has this configuration changed since you last (successfully) installed CMAK ?

What is the 'exact' error you get when attempting to install CMAK ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What is the 'exact' error you get when attempting to install CMAK ?

Keep getting an error message 23, I/O error.

Nothing changed other than reformatting hard drive and reinstalling XP. Other Cds appear to work from the drives.

What copy of CMAK do you have, is it the BFC/internet version or a retail/CDV version ? Can you copy the entire file off of the CDROM to your hard drive and attempt the install from that copy ?

I'm unable to find many references online for "error message 23, I/O error", though I have seen something like that in the past (not related to CM however). This sounds like a general hardware issue with your CD/DVD drive or its controller. Unless the CM disc was damaged, I don't see anything unique about it that would cause this error.

There could be potential incompatibilities between drives on the same IDE channel and other strange BIOS/controller issues. The only reason I could think that CMAK might be bringing out this issue is because it is a full disc.

It's a retail copy. I'm unable to copy anything off the drive since the drive does not recognize a cd is in it.

I've used other program cds (IL2 series, Knights of Old republic, MS Office) and all have been recognized and operate normally.

Interesingly I attempted to install CMBB and it too is not recognized.

Id gladly send in my cds for BF tech to have A look at them.

The 'retail' versions are actually CDV games. You would have to send them to CDV in order to get replacements. BFC/BTS are only responsible for the copies that they sell directly over the internet from this website.

The CDV versions of CMAK and CMBB use a form of copy protection called SafeDisc. Occasionally some drives have a problem reading these discs because of the intentional errors encoded into them. However you were able to read them earlier so I don't assume that should have changed, nor should the discs have deteriorated.

Do you get the "error message 23, I/O error" when you attempt to read the discs (get a directory of the contents) or only during copying/installing from them ? Have you booted into Safe Mode in XP to see if it is any easier to read from the discs ? Is this a new hard drive in your computer or just a re-formatted one ? Is the CD/DVD drive you're attempting to install from hooked up to this drive with the same IDE cable or is it on a different IDE channel ? Have you updated the motherboard BIOS lately ? Do you know if there are any firmware updates for your optical drive (this may be especially relevant for CDRW or DVD drives) ?

Other than the SafeDisc copy protection, I'm not sure what would make the CM discs that different from the other software you've installed. While SafeDisc does encode certain "errors" into the disc, they normally shouldn't cause read errors for a majority of optical drives.

Though I wouldn't imagine that it would make that much of a difference in this situation, do you have Service Pack 2 installed or SP1 ?

Answers to above (and thanks for all the help BTW).

1. I ordered the games from Battlefront originally here on the web, so I guess I misunderstood 'retail'.

2. SP2 for Windows Home XP

3. Get the error when attempting to read the disks. The drives recognize a disk is there, but won't read them.

4. No changes to motherboard or bios.

5. Reformatted Hard drive.

Hmmm... the BFC/internet versions have no copy protection built into the CDs themselves. So this is utterly strange that you can read and install from other CDs (some of which may have copy protection), but a full, non-copy protected CD gives you an I/O error when you attempt to get a directory of the CD.

You're going to have to list for me what is running in the Task Manager's Processes tab. I'm not sure what could be causing this problem or if any software could be labelled the culprit.

Can you read these discs on another computer's CD/DVD drive(s) ? I can't imagine why both discs would spontaneously have a problem reading. If they can't be read by another computer's drives, perhaps BFC can replace the discs.