having trouble running CM:shock Force. Need help

I bought a second hand copy of CM:Shock Force from a video game shop. It installed fine but when I try to run it I get the following message:

A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed (7001).

Double clicking the exe shortcut or the executable itself only brings this error up and it hasn't yet asked me to register my elicense or anything.

Any thoughts on how this can be fixed?

Thanks

I assume that this is the Paradox version of CMSF, which uses Securom or something to that effect for copy protection purposes. Battlefront has no control over what copy protection software/scheme their distributors use, so any problems related to that are not Battlefront's fault.

Do you have any CD-emulation programs running (Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, etc.) ? If you do, then you may need to uninstall them, reboot and then reinstall the game. Which Windows version are you running ?

It's possible, that your second-hand copy is a "copy" and not the original. If that is the case, then you may need to return the software since it will not work with the copy protection scheme that Paradox is using (the copy protection is actually working in this case in defeating a copy of the disc).

Here are some CD/DVD troubleshooting tips from EA that you may want to go through (though they don't ALL apply). Here's another suggestion to try if you've had a CD emulator installed before:

We suspect you are receiving this error message as a result of the use of an emulation program that tampers registry keys.

To fix your registry entries please follow the instructions below:

Note: These tampered entries have NOT been caused by SecuROM. Please also note, you should only delete duplicate entries and not any others. SecuROM is not liable for any problems caused by using these instructions. We provide them only as a service and to assist with repairing the launch

issue.

Please open the registry editor (Start->Run->regedit) and move to the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\ area (by clicking on this folder, you will see all the entries on the right side). Look at the entries with an alpha designation (ie: \DosDevices\Letter_Here). You should

see one of entries with letters with duplicate entries. If you delete the duplicate entry (right mouse click and choose 'Delete' from the choices),

you should be able to exit RegEdit and launch your program.

If the problem persists, please delete all REG_BINARY entries in this folder (only blue ones on the right side). Reboot your computer immediately, the entries will be re-established, and the game should start.

This is listed specifically in the Troubleshooting Guide. Here is what you need to do:

Problem with Paradox CD version and following message: "A required security module cannot be activated. This program cannot be executed (7001)"

Symptoms - You get this message when you try and run the game.

Background - This error indicates a incompatability between your system and the SecuROM protection system utilized by Paradox on their CD's. Sony (the makers of SecuROM) is aware of the issue and apparently has a fix.

People Affected - Some people that have the Paradox version of the game on CD.

Solution - Please email support@securom.com , tell them the game and error you are getting and they should reply back with the steps to take to fix this issue.

• 1 year later...

I have this error as well after buying the game from a bargain bin in a store.

Who creates this junk? Worse - who actually thinks this junk is a good idea and approves it to be used on their products?

There is no notice anywhere on the box to warn you that this "Securom" junk is required before you buy the game.

On page 10 of the manual, under License Overview, it says,

"Combat Mission Shock Force is protected by an online activation system called "eLicense ... Unlike so many activation systems, eLicense requires you to register only once and does mess with your hardware or OS settings."

Lies.

Fortunately, I bought the game cheap, from a bargain bin. That seems to be all it's worth.

Toad, you're mixing up things. eLicense is ONLY used on games purchased directly from Battlefront. The game manual quote does not apply to vother version of the game and it should have been removed for the retail version.

"Securom" is a hardware based copy protection technology run by IIRC Sony and it's used on retail versions of many games by many publishers, not just Paradox. We are not using it ourselves for many reasons, and Securom has nothing to do with the game itself. If you have complains about Securom, please direct them to the publisher or to Securom/Sony directly.