Elite mode - manual errata?

The manual states that in Elite mode:

... If you have a friendly unit not in line of sight or contact with another friendly unit , then the only way to find this unit is by either re-establishing contact with anothr of your units or by clicking through the chain of command [...] jumping from unit to unit.
This would be a great form of extreme iron-man FOW! However, as everyone has probably figured out by now, this is not the case. You simply click off the current unit (anywhere) and then all friendly units become visible to the player including those out of contact. Was this a last minute playability decision?

As it stands, the friendly FOW is simply an annoyance as it doesn't add anything and forces you to do an extra click to select another unit. Is friendly-fire in the engine? This would seem to be the other great reason for implementing friendly FOW. Have seen no friendly fire yet.

Another seperate issue is that the FBCB2 only seems to show friendly units as blue "?" symbols. I have not used the system personally, but doesn't it show exact unit ID and type on the touchscreen? I would think friendly FOW and fratricide for FCBC2-equipped units would be limited to cases where the FCBC2 was damaged, a very hairy situation, or a very bad judgement call. In CM game terms the FCBC2 unit models would always be visible in Elite mode (though not necessarily 'in-command' per the manual text). I'm curious as to how the game-design decision was made there, admitting I haven't researched the FCBC2 functionality.