Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Seems to hate every monitor I throw at it!

I have a PowerMac 8500 which has been pimped out with a 450Mhz G3 processor, so I figure I would be able to play this game, or at least run it. I don't have a graphics card, but I do have 4mb of VRAM. I have been having trouble with the game because it is always saying that my monitor can't support 800x600 resolution. I have tried three monitors, a 15" LCD, and 18" LCD, and a 17" CRT. I don't understand what's going on. I just want to be able to try the game out. I could invest $200 in a 32mb graphics card, but I don't have that kind of money to throw around. Is it possible to run the game on my mac? People please help! :confused:

I'm not a Mac person, but I would see if you can switch to 800x600 resolution in the desktop. If it's not possible, it probably means the gfx card cannot support that resolution at whatever color depth you are using.

The monitor is almost certainly not the issue. Any of those should support 800x600.

Perhaps a real Mac expert can be more specific...

The PowerMac 8500 has built-in video with 2Mb of VRAM. You can upgrade this VRAM to 4Mb via DIMM sockets for video memory (which is what you've apparently done). However this built-in Apple video isn't capable of 3D to my knowledge (it was right before Apple started putting ATI video chips in their computers).

Thus you are limited to software rendering. However I don't know what the maximum resolution on the Mac is for software rendering. I had thought that it was 800x600 on the Mac in CMBO (and 640x480 on the PC), but apparently it may be 640x480 for both Mac & PC. The problem with CMBB is that it doesn't support a 640x480 mode (because the interface requires an 800x600 minimum resolution). Therefore since you're stuck with software-only rendering which is limiting you to 640x480 you can't run CMBB with your current video setup.

The only solution I see is to purchase a PCI video card. You may be able to find an ATI Rage 128 based card (the Orion ?) for fairly cheap. eBay may be a good source (if you can trust the individual sellers); I've seen a number of ATI video cards that could run CMBB for less than US$100 (including some Radeons).

[ September 26, 2002, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 1 month later...

I fixed the problem! I purchased a Radeon 7000 on eBay and installed it in my computer. Initially I suffered a lot of problems because my computer thought it had three monitors. However, when I removed all of my VRAM this problem was resolved. It said specifically on the box of the graphics card that it only supported Mac OS 9 and up, but I'm running it under Mac OS 8.6 just fine. I think the only problem is that the driver doesn't work just perfectly. Anyway, I can play the game now, and that's all I care about. Thanks a lot. Now I just need more memory! :D