Bug report on LOS

Hello all,

I've experienced these two casual situation and wanted to report for help:

I'm on US side.

In the first one/two a brad has a T-72 on target and the T-72 is targeting as well.

The fact is that the brad can hit with both 25mm and missiles, while the T-72 hits only and always the frontal (and already KO) brad.

So this could be possible for both the vehicles or neither.

Hint: Some AI could be added in order to make the T-72 move in case 4/6 shots all hit the wrong brad...

q1qt5.jpg

q2oh1.jpg

In the second situation a computer-drove T-72 goes there, and it can hit with coax MG the US squad inside the building.

w1mx7.jpg

Maybe such problems are already known, anyway I'd like to help with some screenshots.

Regards,

Kieme

As for the first pic: this goes a while back, methinks, but IIRC BF made a compromise because of AI restrictions. Units may shoot through friendly units, while LOF is blocked by enemy units. Perhaps you've noticed units targeting enemy units behind already destroyed enemy units. Now imagine this happening with a not yet destroyed friendly unit between the shooter and the target. Not perfect, but for now acceptable, I reckon.

The second one seems more of a bug, though it could be one of the "abstractions" concerning walls which steve talked about. Anyway, would be nice it this could sometimes be solved through any future patch.

Originally posted by birdstrike:

As for the first pic: this goes a while back, methinks, but IIRC BF made a compromise because of AI restrictions. Units may shoot through friendly units, while LOF is blocked by enemy units. Perhaps you've noticed units targeting enemy units behind already destroyed enemy units. Now imagine this happening with a not yet destroyed friendly unit between the shooter and the target. Not perfect, but for now acceptable, I reckon.

Oh my, but you understand that this kind of compromise will lead to a not so good "gamey" style of play? If this is true and it gets around people will do systematically this way...

Well, so much for realism :-(

Originally posted by birdstrike:

Now imagine this happening with a not yet destroyed friendly unit between the shooter and the target. Not perfect, but for now acceptable, I reckon.

Wouldn't be possible to program AI with the order to kill the nearest enemy vehicle first (keeping enemy tanks as a priority)?

Found it! smile.gif

Original post by BF:

LOS and LOF

In short, the shooter sees the target, but it does not realize that there is a friendly unit in the LOF.

If friendly units would block LOF, then we would end up with quite an increase of friendly fire incidents. I doubt that many players would like to have it that way. ;)

However, I agree with the potential of a gamey exploit. To counter the gameyness-concern, perhaps it might (just might) be possible for BF to implement in the future that all destroyed vehicles block LOF. After all, friendly or not - you can't kill what is already dead.