Shadows looking rough

Does anyone know if removing the Dual Core Optimizer from your system makes the shadows look worse? I had to remove it from mine to fix the teleporting units bug and now I think the shadows look very jagged and flickery.

It would be nice if something was done to smooth the shadows a bit. Perhaps there could be a shadow quality option like lots of game have to allow the shadows to be made less obtrusive without being totally absent.

I'm afraid the problems lie deep in the engine. BFC seems to have chosen a completely different, unusual path, which should work on API-paper but no other game seems to work that way and now they are alone and don't know, how to fix it.

Or the awful shadows: i have the suspicion, they were chosen, to keep the framerate at playable levels. Or the statement, that an overlay-grid, which was one of the most important wishes since CMBO, would eat too much CPU-power(!), only completes the picture for me.

If i look at the trailers of the upcoming Quake:Enemy Territory, which is an OpgenGL game too, i don't understand why they tried to invent the wheel on their own and use function calls no one else seems to use. Especially as small company, it'S wise to stay in the programming paths that are prooved to work.

After several days, there is not even the confirmation, that the ATI-bugs were solved. :mad: The last info i know about is, that they are testing if the workarounds work.

No emergency-patch so far, and not even signs of hope for the 8800 NVidia players...

I don't have a good feeling anymore and i'm quite sure, they would have to rewrite parts of the engine, to make it highly performant.