What`s happening to the ground graphics?

I`m a bit perplexed actually.

Looking at other peoples screenshots there seem to be lots of weird graphic anomolies.

For instance:-

1 Big brown squares

2 Virtually no detail even on highest settings

3 Units look as if they are floating just above the ground

4 Shadows are .... odd

In CMAK that had desert/arid landscapes but the whole thing just looked a lot better than this.

Is it just me whining, or do other people think this?

(i`ve got the graphics on max)

It's the LOD (Level of Detail).

The idea behind this is that the farther you are looking something, the less it has detail. Why? To speed up the game.

The reason why the CMAK terrain maybe looked better is that it had a lot less objects in the same space. The terrain tiles in CMx1's were huge compared to CMx2's ones.

So CMAK could use one good quality texture to cover quite big space in the map. In CMSF in the same space there could be 9 (this is only an estimation) terrain tiles and there can be real physical fox holes (and shell holes) compared to 2D holes in CMx1's. Real holes demand much more from the computer to process. There's also much more detailed buildings in CMSF.

So in CMSF you have more real physical details (meaning a lot more realistic enviroment) compared to CMAK's more detailed texture of the terrain.

The reason it some times looks odd and buggy is that when you are zoomed in, you can see for example a real physical ditch and when you go a bit farther the ditch turns from 3D to 2D texture.

I think there should be option to adjust the LOD distance manually.