Menus Causing Strange Sound

While navigating the menus and in particular, using the scenario editor. The game causes the motherboard to emit a high frequency whine/screech, electricity sound, for a lack of a better term.

The sound changes and gets worse as the scenario editor controls are used and changes frequency as I click around.

Playing the game itself or viewing a map preview does not cause this. The motherboard is a Asus A8N32-SLI-deluxe, 2MB RAM, Win XP SP2 and 7800 GTX.

The only other game that caused the computer to make the same noise as Shock Force was Tiberium Sun.

I like Asus motherboards, mine is an asus ..but it sounds like you have a very angry MB. Dunno ..can't say I've ever heard anything like you seem to be hearing ..odd, very odd.

Regards,

Gunz

Are you sure it's the MB and not a PS getting ready to go belly up?

It's been doing it since day one. It really depends on what game I'm playing. Doesn't seem to be related to how many resources are being used. In 3D mode it doesn't do it at all. Games like Total War I can hear it in the background slightly as I move the camera around. Changes pitch depending on what I look at.

From what I can tell, the sound is coming from the CPU area or the metal tubes used for passive cooling.

You got something like cool and quiet? I think it adjusts the clock and fan speeds of the system as needed. Might be some of the fans making the noise as they change the speed.

If the problem persists or gets worse open the side panel and check that it is not one of the fans that is starting to malfunction. Many have had to change their chip fans on Asus Deluxe boards.

[ August 01, 2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: track ]

Yup, cool and quiet is enabled. Disabling cool and quiet doesn't make a difference. The fans all seem fine. It only does it in the game menus not the actual game.

For example, in the editor. While selecting units it will only make the sound if I put my mouse in the right side panel, for purchased units. I can make the sound better and worse again by simply moving my mouse from the left panel to the right panel. Also click the +'s makes it worse. Clicking the + again makes it quiet down.

Not that this really helps but ive had this problem also. Ive got the same mobo. But for me it was with NASA World Wind.... Only that app, when rotating earth. Since i only had problem with that application it didnt bother me. Just tried WW just now but couldnt get that sound anymore.

Below discussion actually for gfx but you might pick up something helpful.. I googled for buzzing coil sound.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37899

My guess would be that various amounts of processor overheard is altering the cooling capacity on your motherboard and those noises you hear are the various fan's throttling down (or speeding up) and running at different RPM's to maintain proper ambient temperature.

Many motherboards and after market cooling kits will dynamically adjust their cooling schemes depending on both temperature and processor and GPU activity or just as esaily LACK of activity or heat (since they could slow down as cooling wouldnt be required as much).

You may have a fan with a bearing going out or just as likely a noise fan or if you have some sort of liquid or active cooling system it could be some other normal component of that system making noise.

Anyway, my point is that its nothing in the game code that is accessing your motherboard in any way as to cause it intentionally to make this type of noise, although the noise is more than likely a by product of something that might need to be looked at a little closer on your end in case its something that might be close to failure or needing of an adjustment.

Madmatt

Thanks for the response Matt! The only game I have that causes it is Shock Force. I can still play the game just fine without the noise, just not use the editor.

Just strange that I can move my mouse pointer a few pixels and the noise gets worse. If I point at another spot in the menus it goes away, comes right back as soon as the pointer enters certain areas of the menu.

Love the new sig ;)

[ August 01, 2007, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Morjit ]

Perhaps the link above concerning the videocard may be fairly close. Your videocard may be pulling power over the PCI-Express bus for 2D screens and it's possible that one of the power regulators on the motherboard is getting a little bit more work when this is occurring. When running in 3D mode the power is most likely coming from the 6-pin PCI-E power connector, coming straight from the power supply.

So it may be that one of the power regulating circuits on the motherboard that provides power for the PCI-E bus is a bit "noisy". Between providing power for the CPU (CMSF runs the CPU pretty hard, even in a 2D screen) and providing power for the PCI-E bus, some components may be apt to "squeal".

That makes perfect sense Schrullenhaft. Didn't even spot that in the link. As long as it doesn't hurt anything I can live with it smile.gif Maybe I should go bug the guys down at the computer store to replace a few things. Maybe a BIOS update will improve things?

Thanks for the help, explains the behaviour I'm seeing!

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Perhaps the link above concerning the videocard may be fairly close. Your videocard may be pulling power over the PCI-Express bus for 2D screens and it's possible that one of the power regulators on the motherboard is getting a little bit more work when this is occurring. When running in 3D mode the power is most likely coming from the 6-pin PCI-E power connector, coming straight from the power supply.

So it may be that one of the power regulating circuits on the motherboard that provides power for the PCI-E bus is a bit "noisy". Between providing power for the CPU (CMSF runs the CPU pretty hard, even in a 2D screen) and providing power for the PCI-E bus, some components may be apt to "squeal".