Artillery question

Hi all, I 'm thinking about some artillery questions, I need help:

-is there a way to mod an Artillery forward observer by scripting so that only the unit/ observer would be able to call for artillery/mortars?

-in the game, only one kind of the same support is possible in the same mission, e.g, I would like to have two kinds of mortar support in the same mission (e.g 120 mm -and- 81 mm), is it possible?

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Yes you could do that. There is a script command which returns a true value if a certain specified unit can spot another unit. You can then only make artillery trigger initialize when this condition is met.

However, the big problem is that I don't see any way to prevent artillery from then targeting areas of the map which the spotter does not have LOS to.

That is the real problem making this work correctly.

LeLynx

One army can have only one support of each type, but you can add several more armies each of them having different mortar support and call these supports by triggers (obviously, only AI player will be able to call them).

SlapHappy

You can define rects where spotter will see the target (depending on landscape) and enable support only if spotter is in these areas.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Yes you could do that. There is a script command which returns a true value if a certain specified unit can spot another unit. You can then only make artillery trigger initialize when this condition is met.

However, the big problem is that I don't see any way to prevent artillery from then targeting areas of the map which the spotter does not have LOS to.

That is the real problem making this work correctly.

Thanks Slaphappy. My idea was precisely to make the artillery crosshair clickable only on areas on which the FO has LOS. Don't know if it is possible and how to script it.

Originally posted by Sneaksie:

LeLynx

One army can have only one support of each type, but you can add several more armies each of them having different mortar support and call these supports by triggers (obviously, only AI player will be able to call them).

SlapHappy

You can define rects where spotter will see the target (depending on landscape) and enable support only if spotter is in these areas.

Ok, thank you Sneaksie. I will try your idea.