Minimizing CMBB

While playing with Olsens Campaign-Rules i managed to put up a 5900 Pts. force countering up to 21.000 Pts enemys.

This means for my Athlon 1Ghz WIN98SE - System a calculating time between turns of around 15-20 minutes, meaning 3 turns per hour.... annoying in a 46+ turn-battle.

I tried around with details, sounds, etc. but nothing helped.

So my question is, if it is possible to minimize the game while it calculates to do other things in that waiting period?

( alt-Tab ) does not work while the machine calculates.

Greetz

BK

It's not possible to minimize while it is doing the calculation. CM is using close to 100% of the CPU cycles to perform those calcs. This prevents it from changing the focus to Explorer/Apple Finder, redrawing the screen, etc. until it is done calculating.

Very large battles, as you've found out, can bring almost any CPU to its knees. This is especially true when there is a lot of firing going on in the battle.

It should be possible, if you have access to the code and want to deal with all of the hassles of threading a bunch of calculations. I assume any sort of threading will slow down the calc process. In your case allowing for threading would possibly more than double the calculation time, depending on what you're doing while CM is calculating.

Edit - just to clarify here a bit... there's nothing that an end-user can do to change this behavior of CM. It is coded up intentionally this way (to my knowledge) - to minimize the amount of time that the calculations take and to avoid potential problems with the complexity of multi-threading (I assume).

[ December 01, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Except if there exists a possible tool for the end-user to assign max. CPU-Power to different Tasks, meaning that CM:BB does not know ( because of the configuration) that there is a 1Ghz and assumes a 800MhZ Proz for example, leaving 200Mhz for other thingies. I wonder if there is a little progi like that anywhere.

Otherwise I really have to stick to those waiting time smile.gif