Easy Question?

MoJo

Hi all, I just thought I'd ask how to uninstall windows from DOS, I've already tried to reinstall my Win98 and each and every time my screen resolution is stuck on 640x480 and on 16-bit colors, settings which won't allow me to play CM!!!! I just recieved my copy a few days ago and havnt even played it once so I'm in complete AGONY. So if you have any ideas or know how to uninstall windows from DOS I'd GLADLY appreciate it! Thanks.

-Mo

------------------

"For every soldier that died at Dieppe, ten were saved on D-Day"

--Lord Louis Mountbatten

You can delete Windows from a command prompt. But you may have to reinstall all of your Windows programs over again since you will be deleting .DLLs and registries, etc.

When you've exited Windows and are at the command prompt (i.e. "C:\"), copy the deltree.exe file to the root of your C drive with the following command:

copy c:\windows\command\deltree.exe c:\

Before you delete anything you'll want to make sure that you can see your CDROM drive from the command prompt. Put a CD in the CDROM drive and change to your CDROM drive to see if you can read it. If you can't then you'll either need a Windows boot disk (that'll load up the drivers to allow you to see the CDROM) or you'll need to copy some more files out of the Windows directory and make some changes to your CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

Once you've confirmed that you can see your CDROM drive from the command prompt you can execute the following command from the C:\ (root) of your drive:

deltree c:\windows

It will ask if you want to do this and press Y to go ahead. This will take awhile (10 minutes or more might be a close guess).

After this you windows installation will be completely gone. If you can see the CDROM drive from the command prompt you can just change over to the CDROM drive with your Windows 98 CD in there and run the following command:

x:\setup

This will start the Windows 98 setup. If you can't see the CDROM from the command prompt but you definitely have a working boot/setup disk, then you can reboot your computer with this diskette installed (and the Windows 98 CD in the CDROM drive) and setup should start automatically.

After reading your reply I began an immediate search for my Boot Disk. I didnt find that but I found a Recovery CD which deletes everything and installs everything it had when it came out of the factory. Why didnt I think of this before instead of wasting a whole week in misery! I dunno but I'm just glad it works now and everything is ok. I appreciate your help towards me and others who are having problems.

-Mo

------------------

"For every soldier that died at Dieppe, ten were saved on D-Day"

--Lord Louis Mountbatten