Reminder for those with hyperthreading and mutli-core CPU's with new patch...

Hey guys, since many of you originally selected the "Use only One CPU" option in Theatre of War to make the game run better, remember to turn that setting OFF when you play with the new patch to see if you notice a difference in performance. One of the big changes in this patch is that it was compiled with some updated software that should better support multicore CPU's as well as those that support hyperthreading.

We also included a version of the game that had all the other changes but had the cpu optimizations removed in case this new compiler version causes instability for some people. To run that version, doubleclick on the Tow_1.4.exe file.

Madmatt

Thanks Battlefront for the patch, I really like this game!!

I am one of those that has to use the Tow_1.4.exe, when I launch the game with the regular TOW.exe, I get the menu screen which forces me to make a profile, so i type in the name and click ok, (or hit enter) and it kicks me right back to the enter name box, in other words it doesnt take my name and I have to click "create" again. this repeatedly happens till the game crashes to desktop after several trys. So running the Tow_1.4 i get the nice improvements but it sure would have been nice to get the speed increases, as the game still runs at 8-15 FPS, playable but i hoped for 20-30 fps

my system: 3.2GHz PentiumD,ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe system board, MSI/Radeon X1600Xt 256mb graphics card, and using Windows Vista home premium

Archilles, what directory did you install the game to? Make sure it does not contain any exlamation marks and non-english letters.

Also if the game crashes after installing the patch, could you e-mail me its log.lst after the crash (this file is created in Theatre of War's directory) to gavd@1c.ru (with the link to the forum).

Madmatt : I've a dual core AMD 3800+ and I play the unpatched game with the "use only one CPU" option off with the AMD fix.

With the patch the game runs more smoothly than before, I can see it clearly because I play the Moscow campaign (by the way it's really HARD !) without any lag even with these lots of Wehrmacht waves on the screen and I've forced the resolution of the game to higher settingd with the catalyst !

s

So, my PC if it helps : AMD dual core 3800+ 2 Gb of ram X1950pro 512 Mb AGP.

Thanks again for the patch and the addon ! smile.gif

Originally posted by dmg:

Archilles, what directory did you install the game to? Make sure it does not contain any exlamation marks and non-english letters.

Also if the game crashes after installing the patch, could you e-mail me its log.lst after the crash (this file is created in Theatre of War's directory) to gavd@1c.ru (with the link to the forum).

Someone said turn off the shadows in the setup and that fixed it for them, I tried it and it worked for me too, then I downloaded latest Catalyst drivers 7.5 and now it works ok with the regular optimized .exe. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Madmatt,

"One of the big changes in this patch is that it was compiled with some updated software that should better support multicore CPU's as well as those that support hyperthreading."

I have run the game both with XP32 and Vista 64 (Ultimate) and have found that multi threading only works with XP32.

A bit puzzled that the multicore CPU only works in XP while using Vista64 leads to stutters very low fps.

System:

E6700@3Ghz

2 GB ram

GTS8800

Mark

Gcoat, go to advanced video driver settings, and try to turn a 'threading optimizations' option OFF. Then run the game with Use only One CPU turned OFF once again.

[ July 15, 2007, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: dmg ]

Originally posted by dmg:

Gcoat, go to advanced video driver settings, and try to turn a 'threading optimizations' option OFF. Then run the game with Use only One CPU turned OFF once again.

Dmg,

That's exactly what I did ;)

But..

I thought ToW multi threading was meant to work on any flavor of Windows. On windows xp 32 using both cores works with the newly compiled code, but choosing 'threading optimizations = on' with vista64 seems to mean the opposite; it gets incredibly slow. Using only 1 core works on vista however works.

Mark