Some good news for a change

before i bought the game, i came reading the board and all the messages about the game not working on all configs really got me scared. on top of that the minimum config required in the specs is like a race for surarmament. meaning you seem to buy a brand new computer from the latest generation and with a $500 graphic card to be able to play it.

well let me tell you that first i thought i would never be able to play this game on my laptop (the poor antique is already 6 months old !!!! its a canonic age for computers nowadays)

anyway, i downloaded the demo first, tried it and it worked like a charm ( it is at that moment that i cancelled my laptop pre-retirement plan )

but i run the game with full graphics and all options (except EAX and i set it to use only one CPU )

I NEVER HAD ANY FRAMERATE ISSUES, never had the game hang or getting slow as hell. the only issue i have is with this damn camera wich is hell to control during the action ;) also a couple times got an unexpected termination of the game while loading a map but that happened only 2-3 times.

i must say that my laptop is notsome over expensive machine and below i give you the specs , that might help knowing on what conf the game is really working.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/15/2007, 15:24:59

Machine name: FUJITSU

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs) Language: French (Regional Setting: French)

System Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS

System Model: AMILO XI 1546

BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 320MB used, 3616MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c(4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon X1800

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI Mobility Radeon X1800 (0x7102)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Écran par défaut

Monitor Max Res: 1440 x 900

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6601 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/10/2006 03:58:04, 256512 bytes

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Realtek HD Audio output

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5224 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 2/28/2006 00:47:00, 4241920 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

I believe a lot of people's problems come about because they are placing too much emphasis on their video card when the game has some major hits on the CPU and memory. I should say memory especially.

There are some games where having the current uber-card does not necessarily give them the performance they have come to expect. They are basing this totally on their experience with FPS games, which are heavily GPU dependent.

Next time you are in the midst of a heavy session of TOW, CTRL-ALT-DEL into the system properties. Take a quick peek at the memory usage of TOW.exe and you will see what i am talking about.

My laptop is older and slower than yours (2 years old) and ToW runs beautifully as far as FPS goes. Very smooth.

The problems you see on this Tech board are not from high requirements of the game, they're from some small incompatibility or wrong setting on some people's systems(in fact, very fast systems). It's probably one small setting or configurement with the processor or video card and once that is discovered it should fix everyone's problems.